The fruit for this wine comes from vineyards near the town of Gavi, where calcareous clay, volcanic, iron and chalky limestone soils together with the area’s mediating Mediterranean breezes and cool mountain winds create an ideal microclimate for growing the Cortese grape to optimal ripeness. The 100% Cortese grapes are pressed without crushing, and the must is cold settled before undergoing a low-temperature fermentation. The wine is aged on the lees in stainless steel tanks until bottling.
Wine & Spirits2012 vintage
The wine shows citrus and mineral aromas and flavors on a palate of medium body and bright acidity before a lengthy finish.
Pairs with grilled or roasted white meats, deep sea fish and shellfish.
points of distinction
- A fresh wine with crisp acidity—a perfect food wine
- Matured on the lees for greater complexity
about the grape +
Cortese produces a crisp, elegant, delicately scented wine. The best examples from the commune of Gavi in Piedmont have crisp acidity, structure and full, round body.
– Michele Chiarlo, Winemaker
“My aim has always been but one: quality.”
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Asili Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view new Michele Chiarlo Cipressi Barbera Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Il Principe Langhe Nebbiolo DOC
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Cannubi Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo La Court Barbera d'Asti Superiore Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Tortoniano Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Reyna Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Orme 16 Months Barbera d’Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Madri Roero Arneis DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Nivole Moscato d'Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Barolo
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Barbera
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Nebbiolo da Barolo