Montes Alpha M is the result of an extremely limited production and a rigorous selection of the grapes, one by one, led by Aurelio Montes. Coming from the Colchagua Valley, it is one of the best and most awarded wines of Chile. The vineyards that give rise to Montes Alpha M are located in the Apalta zone of the Colchagua Valley. The soils are of granitic origin and are shallow in the upper, mountainous sectors. They vary in the clay content, depth, amount of organic matter, and especially the types of rocks and stones they are made up of. The soils origin can also range from fluvial to glacial, which shows the great diversity of soils in our vineyards. Some zones are influenced by the Tinguiririca River and others by mudslides and the detachment of material from high above in the mountain chain that delimits the valley.

95 Points
2018 vintage
93 Points
2018 vintage
Harvest Note
The 2018 season was exceptional, with fine conditions in both summer and spring, and average temperatures slightly lower than normal. This pushed back harvest more than expected, allowing for slower, more complex ripening processes, producing better acidity, color and concentration than in normal years. The work in the vineyard with controlling the kilos allowed us to achieve perfect phenolic ripeness, which translated into wines with vivid color and excellent flavors. The grapes arrived at the cellar in a healthy state, allowing for very good fermentation and a winemaking process that was unhurried, each lot receiving personalized care in order for it to express its maximum potential.
Tasting Note
Deep carmine red color. Complex nose, with ample notes of ripe red and black fruits, syrup of cherries, figs and blackberries. Its permanence in French oak barrels is reflected in its toasted notes, sweet spices, tobacco and a certain note of humid earth and lactic character, toffee, delicacy of milk. On the palate it is balanced, with extremely silky tannins, ample volume on the palate, very well harmonized with acidity, and with flavors that reaffirm what is perceived in its aromatic part, to leave a long, fruity and vibrant finish on the palate.
Food Pairing
Highly recommended with roast turkey, beef fillet, sherried kidneys, duck confit.
Technical Data
GRAPES: 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc, 5% Merlot, 5% Petit
APPELLATION: Colchagua Valley
PH: 3.51
ACIDITY: 3.6 g/l
ABV: 14.8%
AGING: 80% of the components for this wine have been aged for 18 months in new French oak barrels; the remaining 20% remained in barrels of second or third use for the same period of time.
Unique Selling Points
  • Extremely limited production where grapes are hand selected one by one
  • Only released if head winemaker, Aurelio Montes approves the quality

About the Grape

Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon is adaptable to various growing conditions, and is known for its low yield and late ripeness. It generally produces full-bodied wines with substantial acidity and tannins.
On-Line Assistant
Ask the Expert
We look forward to hearing from you! Please choose a subject from the options below and let us know your name and email address before adding your message.