Montes Alpha M comes from Montes' Finca Apalta Estate vineyard in the heart of the Colchagua Valley. The granitic soil of the Apalta estate boasts incredible diversity, ranging from fluvial to glacial, and varied in the clay content, depth, and amount of organic matter. Some zones are influenced by the Tinguiririca River while others are marked by mudslides and the detachment of material from high above in the mountain chain that delimits the valley. One of Chile's most celebrated wines, Alpha M is extremely limited in production, from low yielding blocks in the upper, mountainous sections of the vineyards with thin soils. Rigorous berry selection further intensifies this remarkable wine.

97 Points
2020 vintage
95 Points
2020 vintage
Harvest Note
A dry season, with yields reduced 15–20%, intensified the wines. Summer's high temperatures accelerated the ripening process and meant harvest was a month earlier in some cases. The low fruit set resulted in bunches at with small grapes, positively affecting the concentration of aromas, flavors, and color in red grapes, giving very high quality for wines.
Tasting Note
Deep ruby-red in the glass, aromas of ripe strawberry, cherry, and cassis dominate the nose. on the palate, rich fruit is complemented by subtle notes of mint, leather and cedar. The texture is opulent with silky tannins, and a full body that lingers with complex aromas.
Food Pairing
Pairs well with duck breast, lamb or pork chops, pasta with pesto, lamb marsala, and chicken with mushroom sauce.
Technical Data
GRAPES: 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc, 5% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot
APPELLATION: Colchagua Valley
PH: 3.56
ACIDITY: 3.92 g/l
ABV: 14.5%
AGING: 70% of the wine was aged for 18 months in new French oak barrels. The remaining 30% was aged in second- and third-use barrels.
Unique Selling Points
  • Extremely limited production where grapes are hand selected one by one.
  • Only released if head winemaker, Aurelio Montes approves the quality.
  • Originating from Colchagua Valley, one of the best and most awarded Chilean wines.

About the Grape

Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon is adaptable to various growing conditions, and is known for its low yield and late ripeness. It generally produces full-bodied wines with substantial acidity and tannins.
On-Line Assistant
Ask the Expert
We look forward to hearing from you! Please choose a subject from the options below and let us know your name and email address before adding your message.