Montes Alpha M is the result of an extremely limited production and a rigorous selection of the grapes, one by one, led by Aurelio Montes. Coming from the Colchagua Valley, it is one of the best and most awarded wines of Chile. The vineyards that give rise to Montes Alpha M are located in the Apalta zone of the Colchagua Valley. The soils are of granitic origin and are shallow in the upper, mountainous sectors. They vary in the clay content, depth, amount of organic matter, and especially the types of rocks and stones they are made up of. The soils origin can also range from fluvial to glacial, which shows the great diversity of soils in our vineyards. Some zones are influenced by the Tinguiririca River and others by mudslides and the detachment of material from high above in the mountain chain that delimits the valley.

98 Points
jamessuckling.com
97 Points
jamessuckling.com
Harvest Note
The 2015 – 2016 season began with a winter that was drier than the previous year (15% less rain in Marchigüe and 7% less in Apalta). However, higher rainfall during the second half of October enabled an optimal level of water in the soil. The mild spring allowed for optimal bud break, foliage development, and flowering. The summer was particularly dry with a cool start, especially in January. February, however, was one of the hottest in recent years. March was cooler, which slowed ripening by 2–3 weeks. A few rainstorms threatened the harvest, but almost all plots were harvested without loss of quality. In general terms, the 2016 harvest was a good quality vintage with nearly each variety planted obtaining good ripeness. The tannins ripened nicely, which allowed for an earlier harvest with lower potential alcohol levels coupled with very good acidity, aromatic intensity, and tremendous color.
Tasting Note
The intense yet elegant nose features ripe red berries, crème de cassis, sweet spices, and candied fruit. Aging in French oak enhances notes of tobacco and vanilla. The palate offers flavors of caramel and heightens the notes of berries. This is a well-balanced and vibrant wine with polished tannins and a very long finish.
Food Pairing
Highly recommended with roast turkey, beef fillet, sherried kidneys, duck confit.
Technical Data
GRAPES: 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc, 5% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot
APPELLATION: Colchagua Valley
PH: 3.52
ACIDITY: 3.82 g/l
ABV: 14.5%
AGING: 80% of this wine was aged in new French oak barrels for 18 months. The remaining 20% was kept in second- and third-use barrels, for the same amount of time.
Unique Selling Points
  • Extremely limited production where grapes are hand selected one by one.
  • Only released if head winemaker, Aurelio Montes approves the quality.
  • Originating from Colchagua Valley, one of the best and most awarded Chilean wines.
  • Aged in new French oak barrels for 18 months.
  • Smooth but structured on the palate, with silky tannins.

About the Grape

Cabernet Sauvignon
Cabernet Sauvignon is adaptable to various growing conditions, and is known for its low yield and late ripeness. It generally produces full-bodied wines with substantial acidity and tannins.
On-Line Assistant
Ask the Expert
We look forward to hearing from you! Please choose a subject from the options below and let us know your name and email address before adding your message.