Torcalvano in Montepulciano was purchased by the Folonari family in 1994. The property was originally owned by the Mazzucchelli Svetoni family and dates from the 14th century, with a graceful villa from the mid-1800s. Between 1994 and 2000, the Vino Nobile was bottled as Lodola Nuova Vino Nobile di Montepulciano DOCG under the Ruffino brand owned by the Folonari family. Since 2000, the wine has been sold under the current name: Torcalvano.
Ambrogio and Giovanni Folonari are the heirs of a history that spans the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The founder, Lorenzo Folonari, was born in Valtellina in 1729 and moved his family to Val Camonica, an area destined to become the cradle of a line of entrepreneurs. There, they will bind their name to entrepreneurship – first through trade and then with the production of wine.
In 1882, the brothers Italo and Francesco Folonari transferred the company headquarters, then known as Fratelli Folonari, from Val Camonica to Bresci and in 1911, they bought the historic Tuscan winery Ruffino. Ruffino was known for its distribution in Italy and its Chianti Classico, bottled in traditional wine flasks wrapped in straw.