The firm was founded in 1865 by two young Norwegians, Theodor Wiese and Dankert Krohn. Over the following century and a half the firm built up an outstanding reputation for its old cask-aged Ports, in particular its ‘colheitas’ or single harvest tawnies. Krohn is also noted for its finely-constituted Vintage Ports sourced from its flagship property Quinta do Retiro Novo in the Rio Torto Valley.
At the beginning, Wiese & Krohn was a very small firm, based on the export of Port Wine to the Scandinavian markets and to Germany.
In 1880 Theodor Wiese decided to sell his share to Dankert Krohn – the Company was simply too small to be shared by two owners – but he went on working for W&K as a commercial agent in Norway. Due to his excellent work, sales were largely increased and the company entered a new period of economic progress.
On the death of Dankert Krohn in 1906 the business was continued by the widow and daughters of the founder, along with two employees, Gomes Figueiredo and Edmund Arnsby, the former a Portuguese bookkeeper and the latter a British manager.