/ Douro Valley Porto
Grapes: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Francesa, Tinto Cão, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca
Single-quinta, or single-vineyard, vintage Porto is produced only in exceptional years in which a general vintage is not declared. Quinta de Vargellas, celebrated as one of the top 100 vineyards in the world, has been part of the Taylor Fladgate estate for more than a century. It has the highest percentage of old vines of any quinta in the Douro, with 60% over 75 years old. All grapes undergo the traditional foot treading method, ensuring their fullest expression. Fermentation is halted by the addition of grape spirits before all the residual sugar has been fermented, creating a sweet, fortified wine. Following two years in wood, the wines are bottled unfiltered and will continue maturing for decades.
Wine Spectator Insider2012 vintage
Wine & Spirits2012 vintage
Following an unusually dry and cold winter, budburst occurred in late March. Welcome rainfall in April and early May preceded flowering in May's last 2 weeks and favorable weather through July. Vines showed lower than usual vigor, resulting in smaller berries, bunches and lower yields. Véraison was inevitably later than usual. In mid-August, the grapes were still very low in sugar and with high levels of acidity. Significant and continuous ripening of the crop took place during the duration of the harvest. Picking started on September 20th at Vargellas.
Pure woodland fruit aromas combine with notes of wild herbs, gum cistus and discreet hints of vanilla. The floral scents, hallmark of Vargellas, include characteristic violet along with delicate blossom notes. Clean, vibrant berry fruit flavors. Wiry tannins on the mid-palate which provide plenty of grip and an attractive touch of austerity. Wonderfully fine and harmonious.
Most often served after a meal, alone or with cheese, nuts, dried fruits or fine dark chocolate.
GRAPES: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Francesa, Tinto Cão, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca
ACIDITY: 3.90 g/L
AGING: Two years in large oak vats
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 103 g/L
points of distinction
- Taylor Fladgate vintage Porto is one of the most collectible, ageworthy Portos available.
- A single-quinta vintage Porto from one of the most revered vineyards in the world: Quinta de Vargellas
vineyard details +
Quinta de Vargellas
Quinta de Vargellas is the backbone of Taylor, Fladgate's declared vintage Portos, lending them consistency and defining their style. In the best undeclared years, Quinta de Vargellas stands on its own as a single-quinta vintage Porto. Vargellas was originally, in the early 1800s, three separate properties: The upper portion, Quinta do Vale; the middle portion, Quinta de Vargellas-do-Meio; and the lower portion, known by the several names of Quinta de Vargellas-de-Baixo, Quinta de Galega and Quinta do Brito. Documents substantiate that an 1808 vintage wine, possibly among those that surfaced in London in the 1820s, mentioned above, was produced from Quinta de Vargellas-do-Meio. Sometime between 1850 and 1890, the vineyards were consolidated into a single property. In 1893, on the heels of the arrival of the phylloxera epidemic, Taylor Fladgate purchased Vargellas in a state of near ruin; its yield in that year was barely 5% of current production. Today it is an A-rated vineyard, with 103 acres of vines planted on its steep, northeast-facing terraced slopes descending precipitously to the banks of the Douro.
about the grape +
Tinta Amarela makes wines with intensely perfumed aromas of blackberry and tea, bold structure, deep color and excellent depth.
Used to make Port wines, this high yielding grape has very high sugar content, which makes wines with pronounced floral character, good structure and firm, ripe tannins.
This grape has blackberry, game and meaty aromas, and contributes longevity and exceptional elegance to the blend of Port wines.
Tinta Roriz produces deep-colored grapes of moderate acidity which make bold wines with firm tannins, excellent complexity and distinctive resin-like fragrance.
This grape has high tannins and is very aromatic; it lends structure and balance to Port wines. It shows intense fresh red fruit, earth and flower aromas, and is very fruity on the palate.
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– Adrian Bridge, CEO
“We focus on making vintage quality from all of our grapes. As a result, we will produce the highest-quality Port in every category.”
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate Chip Dry & Tonic
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate 1961 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1964 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1965 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1966 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1967 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1968 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1969 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1863 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 325th Anniversary Reserve Tawny Port
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Historical Collection Reserve Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Chip Dry White Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate First Estate Reserve Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Late Bottled Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 30 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 40 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Ruby
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Classic Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Scion