/ Douro Valley Porto
Grapes: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão, Tinta Amarela
Quinta de Vargellas, named one of the top 100 vineyards in the world, has been part of the Taylor Fladgate estate for over a century. With the highest percentage of old vines of any quinta in the Douro, 60% are over 75 years old. Grapes are harvested from the oldest vineyard plot, which yields Vinha Velha (old vine) intensity. Grapes undergo traditional foot treading for fullest expression. Fermentation is halted by adding grape spirits before all residual sugar has been fermented, creating a sweet, fortified wine. After 2 years in wood, the wines are bottled unfiltered and will continue maturing for decades. From low yields, production is extremely limited.
Wine Advocate2011 vintage
Winter was wetter and colder than the 30-year average. After budbreak in mid-March, a warm, wet April prompted growth. In May, dry conditions in the eastern Douro lasted until late August. Vines drew on winter ground water and bunches developed in ideal conditions. Véraison came a bit early. Mild weather in June-July changed with a heat wave in second half of June. August was hot and dry. Late August rain helped to balance ripening. In the Douro Superior, Quinta de Vargellas was the first Taylor Fladgate property to begin harvest. Grapes showed high sugar levels with excellent acidity. In Pinhão Valley, Quinta do Junco, the upper Quinta de Terra Feita, and the lower Terra Feita were picked mid-September. Long fermentations allowed complete extraction; musts displayed intense color and powerful fruit.
Complex and fruity aromas of blackcurrant, plum and blackberry have dark chocolate, exotic wood, black pepper and floral notes. Expressive aromas with depth promise a long evolution. Perfectly balanced flavors are supported by dense, sinewy tannins, and fresh berry flavors linger on the long finish.
Often served after a meal, alone or with cheese, nuts or dried fruits. May also be served with fine dark chocolate. Should be decanted before serving due to sediment.
GRAPES: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão, Tinta Amarela
ACIDITY: 4.55 g/L
AGING: 2 years in neutral oak.
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 105 g/L
points of distinction
- Old vines, single-quinta vintage Porto from one of the world's finest vineyards.
- One of the most collectible, ageworthy Portos available.
- Intense color and powerful fruit characters of 2011 promise a long life in bottle.
vineyard details +
Quinta de Terra Feita
Taylor, Fladgate's other vineyard is the A-rated, 217-acre Quinta de Terra Feita, a spectacular south-facing amphitheater on the west bank of the Pinhão River; this quinta contributes to the vintage port in declared years. Purchased in 1974, it has long been an important source of vintage quality wines for Taylor, Fladgate. It now has 126 acres planted to vines.
about the grape +
Tinta Amarela makes wines with intensely perfumed aromas of blackberry and tea, bold structure, deep color and excellent depth.
Used to make Port wines, this high yielding grape has very high sugar content, which makes wines with pronounced floral character, good structure and firm, ripe tannins.
This grape has blackberry, game and meaty aromas, and contributes longevity and exceptional elegance to the blend of Port wines.
Tinta Roriz produces deep-colored grapes of moderate acidity which make bold wines with firm tannins, excellent complexity and distinctive resin-like fragrance.
This grape has high tannins and is very aromatic; it lends structure and balance to Port wines. It shows intense fresh red fruit, earth and flower aromas, and is very fruity on the palate.
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– David Guimaraens, Winemaker
“Traditional foot treading provides a clear quality edge, providing just the right level of extraction. Our policy of co-fermenting the traditional grape varieties is also key to producing balanced and complex wines.”
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate Chip Dry & Tonic
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate 1961 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1964 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1965 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1966 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1967 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1968 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1969 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1863 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 325th Anniversary Reserve Tawny Port
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Historical Collection Reserve Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Chip Dry White Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate First Estate Reserve Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Late Bottled Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 30 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 40 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Ruby
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Classic Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Scion