/ Douro Valley Porto
Grapes: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão, Tinta Amarela
Quinta de Vargellas, celebrated as one of the top 100 vineyards in the world, has been part of the Taylor Fladgate estate for more than a century. It has the highest percentage of old vines of any quinta in the Douro, with 60% over 75 years old. For Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha Vintage Porto, grapes are harvested from the oldest plot of the vineyard, which yields a Vinha Velha (old vine) intensity. And unlike most single-quinta vintage wines, Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha is made in years in which a general vintage is declared. All grapes undergo the traditional foot treading method, ensuring their fullest expression. Fermentation is halted by the addition of grape spirits before all the residual sugar has been fermented, creating a sweet, fortified wine. Following two years in wood, the wines are bottled unfiltered and will continue maturing for decades.
Wine Advocate2009 vintage
Wine Advocate2009 vintage
2009 will be remembered as a year of very low yields. This was due to the very dry ripening season and low numbers of bunches on the vines. All vine varieties showed low fertility, although the vegetation was healthy and vigorous. The ripening season started with relatively cool weather that continued throughout July, but in August this turned to intense heat. From July right through to the harvest in September, there was almost no rain. These hot, arid conditions produced concentrated musts, rich in color, tannins and sugar, and by early September the grapes had reached phenolic maturity. An early start to the harvest on the Taylor Fladgate estates ensured that the wines had a good acid balance and avoided over-ripeness. Picking started on September 12 at Vargellas.
The wine is inky black with a purple rim. The nose opens on intensely concentrated black fruit laced with date and prune. Around this dense, fruity core, with its attractive minerality, are scents of wild herbs. Supported by a tight wrap of thick tannins, the palate explodes with concentrated ripe and dried black fruit flavors. This wine manages to combine the massive structure and powerful fruitiness of the 2009 harvest with elegance, poise and finesse.
Most often served after a meal, alone or with cheese, nuts or dried fruits. It may also be served with fine dark chocolate. The wine should be decanted before serving due to sediment in the bottle.
GRAPES: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão, Tinta Amarela
ACIDITY: 4.74 g/l
AGING: 2 years in neutral oak
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 98.2 g/l
points of distinction
- A single-quinta vintage Porto from the oldest vines in one of the most revered vineyards in the world: Quinta de Vargellas
- Taylor Fladgate vintage Porto is one of the most collectible, ageworthy Portos available.
- Combines the massive structure and powerful fruitiness of the 2009 harvest with elegance, poise and finesse
- 100% foot-trodden
- Will develop for decades in the bottle
vineyard details +
Quinta de Terra Feita
Taylor, Fladgate's other vineyard is the A-rated, 217-acre Quinta de Terra Feita, a spectacular south-facing amphitheater on the west bank of the Pinhão River; this quinta contributes to the vintage port in declared years. Purchased in 1974, it has long been an important source of vintage quality wines for Taylor, Fladgate. It now has 126 acres planted to vines.
about the grape +
Tinta Amarela makes wines with intensely perfumed aromas of blackberry and tea, bold structure, deep color and excellent depth.
Used to make Port wines, this high yielding grape has very high sugar content, which makes wines with pronounced floral character, good structure and firm, ripe tannins.
This grape has blackberry, game and meaty aromas, and contributes longevity and exceptional elegance to the blend of Port wines.
Tinta Roriz produces deep-colored grapes of moderate acidity which make bold wines with firm tannins, excellent complexity and distinctive resin-like fragrance.
This grape has high tannins and is very aromatic; it lends structure and balance to Port wines. It shows intense fresh red fruit, earth and flower aromas, and is very fruity on the palate.
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– David Guimaraens, Director of Winemaking
“The remarkable characteristic of the Vinha Velha vintage Ports is their multidimensional complexity and their distinctive and subtle personality. This derives from the rich diversity of grape varieties planted on these old terraces, many of which are traditional varieties not widely used today.”
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate Chip Dry & Tonic
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate 1961 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1964 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1965 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1966 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1967 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1968 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1969 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1863 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 325th Anniversary Reserve Tawny Port
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Historical Collection Reserve Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Chip Dry White Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate First Estate Reserve Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Late Bottled Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 30 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 40 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Ruby
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Classic Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Scion