Late Bottled Vintage Porto 2014
/ Douro Valley Porto
Grapes: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Francesa, Tinto Cão, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca
Taylor Fladgate were pioneers of the LBV category, developed to satisfy the demand for a high quality ready-to-drink alternative to vintage port for everyday consumption. Unlike vintage port, which is bottled after only two years in wood and ages in bottle, LBV is bottled after four to six years and is ready to drink when bottled. Taylor Fladgate continues to lead the LBV category of port worldwide, in spite of the fact that many other shippers now also produce an LBV. The wines used to blend Taylor Fladgate LBV were drawn from a reserve of some of the best full bodied red ports from grapes grown on Taylor Fladgate owned vineyards and on other top properties in the Cima Corgo and Douro Superior areas.
Blue Lifestyle2014 vintage
The cycle started with a wet and warm Spring, resulting in strong vegetative growth. Bud burst and flowering took place in optimal conditions. The Spring rainfall and a relatively cool June and July meant that the ripening season started with abundant water reserves in the soil and very healthy leaf canopies, leading to a very even and complete maturation of the crop. Hot weather in early September, followed by a brief spell of rainfall, rounded off the ripening. Picking at the 2014 harvest at Taylor’s Quinta de Vargellas started relatively early on September 8th. The early start meant that the best grapes had been picked and were under cover by the time that heavy rain began to fall on the 21st. The grapes were reported to be very healthy and the wines as having excellent phenolic ripeness, sugar levels and color.
Vivid ruby colored rim around a deep purple center. On the nose, the first impression is of woodland berries and rich, jammy aromas of blackcurrant. Around this dense core of ripe dark berry fruit are leafy scents of mint and wild herbs, a subtle spiciness and fleeting cedary notes of cigar box. The palate is underpinned by firm, linear tannins and lifted by a lively acidity. Thick, luscious cassis flavors blend with raspberry and apricot and carry through into the very long finish. An archetypal Taylor Fladgate Late Bottled Vintage, elegant and restrained, with great quality and purity of fruit.
Excellent with fully flavored cheeses, especially blue cheeses such as Stilton or Roquefort. It is also delicious with desserts made with chocolate or berry fruits.
GRAPES: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Francesa, Tinto Cão, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca
ACIDITY: 4.2 g/l
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 101 g/l
points of distinction
- A Late Bottled Vintage Porto from the inventor of the category
- LBVs offer some of the characteristics of Vintage Porto but with no time required for bottle aging
about the grape +
Tinta Amarela makes wines with intensely perfumed aromas of blackberry and tea, bold structure, deep color and excellent depth.
Used to make Port wines, this high yielding grape has very high sugar content, which makes wines with pronounced floral character, good structure and firm, ripe tannins.
This grape has blackberry, game and meaty aromas, and contributes longevity and exceptional elegance to the blend of Port wines.
Tinta Roriz produces deep-colored grapes of moderate acidity which make bold wines with firm tannins, excellent complexity and distinctive resin-like fragrance.
This grape has high tannins and is very aromatic; it lends structure and balance to Port wines. It shows intense fresh red fruit, earth and flower aromas, and is very fruity on the palate.
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– Adrian Bridge, CEO
“As the inventors of the late bottled vintage category, I believe it is important for us to set very high standards for this excellent Port.”
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate Chip Dry & Tonic
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate 1961 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1964 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1965 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1966 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1967 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1968 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1969 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1863 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 325th Anniversary Reserve Tawny Port
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Historical Collection Reserve Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Chip Dry White Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate First Estate Reserve Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 30 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 40 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Ruby
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Classic Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Scion