Sonoma Valley Merlot 2014
/ Sonoma County
Grapes: 97% Merlot, 3% Malbec
Joe Martin was the first grower to plant Merlot in Sonoma Valley. Merlot thrives in this picturesque valley where warm days are cooled by evening breezes and fog from the Pacific Ocean. The grapes in Sonoma Valley Merlot come from our Estate Behler and Wild Oak vineyards, as well as from top growers throughout the area. Each carefully selected vineyard contributes distinctive and individual qualities to the finished wine.
The grapes are gently de-stemmed before cold-soaking for two days to extract optimal color and flavor. The fruit is fermented in separate lots, allowing each lot to be individually and distinctly crafted before being aged in French oak barrels, 25% new. The wines are kept 16 months in barrel before final blending and bottling.
Wine Enthusiast2014 vintage
Warm sunny days throughout the spring and summer months set the stage for a spectacular harvest in September 2014. The lack of rain meant that harvest began a little earlier than normal and was short in length, finishing up by the end of October. The temperate days leading up to harvest produced good yields of high quality fruit with concentrated flavors, complex aromatics and excellent structure.
This is an expresssive and flavorful Merlot with multi-layered aromas and flavors of red cherry, plum, dried cranberry, espresso bean and savory spices. Medium-to-full bodied with a long, lingering finish.
Excellent with beef, duck and blue cheese.
GRAPES: 97% Merlot, 3% Malbec
APPELLATION: Sonoma Valley
ACIDITY: 0.61 g/l
AGING: 16 months in 100% French Oak barrel
points of distinction
- A classic California Merlot with luscious hints of plum and chocolate.
- Matured for 16 months in French oak barrels for a complex flavor.
vineyard details +
Sonoma Valley AVA
Sonoma Valley AVA is in southern Sonoma County, flanked by the Sonoma Mountains to the west and the Mayacamas to the east. The climate is moderated by the Pacific Ocean’s cool summer fogs and the influence of San Pablo Bay to the south. St. Francis owns 600 acres of carefully chosen, diverse Sonoma County vineyards. The winery’s estate vineyards give it complete control over growing and production, a cornerstone to St. Francis’ quality philosophy. Each of the four estate-owned vineyards has its own soil profile and unique mesoclimate that forms a “tapestry of terroirs” carefully matched to the grape varieties grown there.
about the grape +
Merlot makes plump, succulent wines to drink young or opulently massive wines for aging. Has silky, blackberry and currant fruit, with spice, earth, tobacco and chocolate notes, and soft tannins.
– Chris Louton, Winemaker
Sonoma wines express themselves differently than wines from Napa. They have their own unique brightness and great intensity
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon