Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc 2017
/ Sonoma County
Grapes: 100% Sauvignon Blanc
Fruit for this refreshing wine comes from top growers in Sonoma County, an area renowned for producing high quality Sauvignon Blanc. Cool mornings and warm afternoons produce fruit with classic Sauvignon Blanc characteristics and pronounced flavors. To retain the bright flavors and crisp acidity of this varietal, the grapes were picked at dawn and arrived at the winery cold. The grapes were pressed and a majority of the juice was sent directly to stainless steel tank while a small portion went to barrel for fermentation. The wine was fermented slowly at 55º for over 30 days, preserving the wonderful aromas of Sauvignon Blanc. We prevented malolactic fermentation to preserve the wine’s clean, crisp texture. It was then aged for five months before bottling.
Wine Spectator2017 vintage
Wine Advocate2017 vintage
The 2017 growing season started out wet with record-breaking rainfall refreshing our vineyards after several dry years. The mild spring led to timely bud break and good fruit set, followed by ideal conditions of cool mornings and warm, sunny days throughout the summer months. Our first grapes of the season were “blessed” on August 25, officially beginning the St. Francis harvest. A few days of intense heat at the beginning of September sped up ripening throughout the region. Well-timed picks throughout the month meant the majority of fruit was in by the first week of October. Beautiful color, well-defined aromatics and outstanding flavor are all evident in this year’s vintage.
Beautiful and bright, this Sauvignon Blanc bursts with fresh flavors and aromas of grapefruit and orange blossom with a note of minerality. The wine finishes smooth with a refreshing lift of stone fruit and crisp acidity.
Excellent as an aperitif or paired with salads, sushi, seafood and fresh, young cheeses.
GRAPES: 100% Sauvignon Blanc
APPELLATION: Sonoma County
ACIDITY: 0.57 g/100ml
AGING: 5 Months, 85% stainless steel, 15% barrel ferment
points of distinction
- Slow, cool fermentation without malolatic fermentation result in a fresh, highly aromatic fruit profile
- Versatile as an aperitif or with a variety of seafood and light meats
- A pure and classic Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
vineyard details +
Sonoma County extends over 60,000 acres of vineyards and includes 15 unique AVAs, including Sonoma Coast, Sonoma Mountain, Sonoma Valley, Alexander Valley, Bennett Valley, Carneros, Chalk Hill, Dry Creek Valley, Green Valley, Knights Valley, Rockpile and Russian River Valley. More than 50 grape varieties are planted in vineyards owned by over 750 growers and 260 wineries. Maritime-influenced conditions make this area notably cooler than Napa, further inland, and a multitude of beneficial soil types make Sonoma County a prime area for high quality wine growing.
about the grape +
Sauvignon Blanc has vivid, assertive aromas and flavors of gooseberries, citrus, herbs framed by tangy acidity. Oak contact adds tropical fruit, vanilla, lanolin and toast notes.
– Chris Louton, Winemaker
Sonoma wines express themselves differently than wines from Napa. They have their own unique brightness and great intensity
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon