Sonoma County Pinot Noir 2018
/ Sonoma County
Grapes: 100% Pinot Noir
St. Francis Winery & Vineyards source their Pinot Noir fruit from the cooler areas of Sonoma County where fog from the Pacific Ocean rolls in at night during the summer, dropping temperatures substantially. This natural air-conditioning allows the grapes to develop deep flavors while retaining natural acidity. To capture the distinct varietal characteristics of each vineyard, the lots are fermented separately starting with a five to ten day cold soak to extract optimal color and flavor. After a long, slow fermentation the wine is racked off into French Oak barrels, 25% new, where it undergoes natural malolactic fermentation followed by aging for ten months before blending and bottling.
Tasting Panel2018 vintage
Tasting Panel2018 vintage
A fairly mild spring and summer with few heat spikes allowed the 2018 harvest to begin right after Labor day, later than previous years. The consistent growing season and cooler temperatures allowed for slow ripening and deep flavor development resulting in exceptional quality fruit with remarkable balance and brightness.
This ruby-hued Pinot Noir offers an abundance of tart red cherry and baking spice aromas followed by a burst of flavors with notes of pomegranate, juicy strawberry, fresh raspberry and chamomile tea. This expressive wine has a soft and silky texture that finishes with a bit of toasted nut and orange zest.
Pairs well with salmon, roast chicken, grilled vegetables and light pasta dishes.
GRAPES: 100% Pinot Noir
APPELLATION: Sonoma County
AGING: 8 months, French Oak, 25% New
points of distinction
- From the cooler areas of Sonoma to allow the grapes to develop deep flavors while retaining acidity
- Malolactic fermentation occurs in French oak barrels, 25% new, and aged for 8 months
about the grape +
In France, makes a silky, deceptively powerful wine of elegant, complex aromas and subtle, red fruit flavors, with earthy, floral, mushroom and mineral notes. In California, shows ripe, sweet characters.
– Katie Madigan, Winemaker
“With its perfect balance and seamless structure, this Pinot Noir is a classic expression of Sonoma County.”
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon