Sonoma County Pinot Noir 2017
/ Sonoma County
Grapes: 100% Pinot Noir
We source Pinot Noir fruit from vineyards located in the cooler areas of Sonoma County including Sonoma Coast, Russian River Valley and Bennett Valley. These areas experience a marine influence from the Pacific Ocean and San Pablo Bay as cool air, fog and wind rolls in at night during the summer, dropping temperatures substantially. This natural air-conditioning is ideal for Pinot Noir as it allows the grapes to develop deep flavors while retaining natural acidity. To capture the distinct varietal characteristics of each vineyard, the lots are fermented separately starting with a five to ten day cold soak to extract optimal color and flavor. After a long, slow fermentation the wine is racked off into French Oak barrels, 25% new, where it undergoes natural malolactic fermentation followed by aging for eight months before blending and bottling.
Tasting Panel2018 vintage
Tasting Panel2018 vintage
The 2017 growing season started out wet with record-breaking rainfall refreshing our vineyards after several dry years. The mild spring led to timely bud break and good fruit set, followed by ideal conditions of cool mornings and warm, sunny days throughout the summer months. Our first grapes of the season were “blessed” on August 25, officially beginning the St. Francis harvest. A few days of intense heat at the beginning of September sped up ripening throughout the region. Well-timed picks throughout the month meant the majority of fruit was in by the first week of October. Beautiful color, well-defined aromatics and outstanding flavor are all evident in this year’s vintage.
This ruby-hued Pinot Noir offers an abundance of tart red cherry and baking spice aromas followed by a burst of flavors with notes of pomegranate, juicy strawberry, fresh raspberry and chamomile tea. This expressive wine has a soft and silky texture that finishes with a bit of toasted nut and orange zest.
Pairs well with salmon, roast chicken, grilled vegetables and light pasta dishes.
GRAPES: 100% Pinot Noir
APPELLATION: Sonoma County
AGING: 8 Months in French Oak, 25% New
points of distinction
- Fruit sourced from the cooler areas of Sonoma County to allow the grapes to develop deep flavors while retaining natural acidity
- Malolactic fermentation occurs in French oak barrels, 25% new, and aged for 8 months
about the grape +
In France, makes a silky, deceptively powerful wine of elegant, complex aromas and subtle, red fruit flavors, with earthy, floral, mushroom and mineral notes. In California, shows ripe, sweet characters.
– Katie Madigan, Winemaker
“With its perfect balance and seamless structure, this Pinot Noir is a classic expression of Sonoma County.”
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon