Sonoma County Pinot Noir 2016
/ Sonoma County
Grapes: Pinot Noir
Pinot Noir fruit is sourced from vineyards located in the cooler areas of Sonoma County including Carneros, Russian River Valley and Bennett Valley. These areas experience a marine influence from the Pacific Ocean and San Pablo Bay as cool air, fog and wind rolls in at night during the summer, dropping temperatures substantially. This natural air-conditioning is ideal for Pinot Noir as it allows the grapes to develop deep flavors while retaining natural acidity. To capture the distinct varietal characteristics of each vineyard, the lots are fermented separately starting with a five to ten day cold soak to extract optimal color and flavor. After a long, slow fermentation the wine is racked off into French Oak barrels, 25% new, where it undergoes natural malolactic fermentation followed by aging for eight months before blending and bottling.
San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition2016 vintage
Harvest in 2016 started in the middle of August during a pattern of warm sunny days cooled by foggy mornings and breezy afternoons for most of the area. The early months of the year were very mild with little rain allowing the vines to progress steadily and uneventfully. Yields throughout the region were slightly below average but moderate weather starting in early summer gave the fruit plenty of time to develop great color and flavor, resulting in beautifully balanced wines.
This bright, medium-bodied Pinot Noir abounds with aromas of red fruit and warm baking spices followed by flavors of cranberry, fresh raspberry and plum. This expressive wine has a silky texture and a lingering finish.
Pairs well with salmon, roast chicken, grilled vegetables and light pasta dishes.
GRAPES: Pinot Noir
APPELLATION: Sonoma County
AGING: 8 Months in French Oak, 25% New
points of distinction
- Fruit sourced from the cooler areas of Sonoma County to allow the grapes to develop deep flavors while retaining natural acidity
- Malolactic fermentation occurs in French oak barrels, 25% new, and aged for 8 months
about the grape +
In France, makes a silky, deceptively powerful wine of elegant, complex aromas and subtle, red fruit flavors, with earthy, floral, mushroom and mineral notes. In California, shows ripe, sweet characters.
– Katie Madigan, Winemaker
“With its perfect balance and seamless structure, this Pinot Noir is a classic expression of Sonoma County.”
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon