Sonoma County Merlot 2018
/ Sonoma County
Grapes: 100% Merlot
The grapes in our Sonoma County Merlot come from Certified Sustainable Estate Wild Oak vineyard, located in the heart of Sonoma Valley, as well as from top growers throughout the region. Merlot thrives in Sonoma’s picturesque valleys where warm days are cooled by evening breezes and fog from the Pacific Ocean. Each carefully selected vineyard contributes distinctive and individual qualities to the finished wine. All grapes are gently de-stemmed before cold-soaking for two days to extract optimal color and flavor. The fruit is fermented in separate lots, allowing each lot to be individually and distinctly crafted before being aged in French oak barrels, 25% new. The wines are kept 16 months in barrel before final blending and bottling.
Press Democrat2017 vintage
Sunset International Wine Competition2017 vintage
A fairly mild spring and summer with few heat spikes allowed our 2018 harvest to begin right after Labor Day, later than previous years. The consistent growing season and cooler temperatures allowed for slow ripening and deep flavor development resulting in exceptional quality fruit with remarkable balance and brightness.
Intense color and expressive aromatics set the stage for this classic Merlot. The rich aromas and flavors of dark, crushed berries, cassis, ripe plum and bittersweet chocolate are balanced with good acidity and a long, spicy finish.
GRAPES: 100% Merlot
APPELLATION: Sonoma County
ACIDITY: 0.56 g/100
AGING: 16 months, french oak barrels, 25% new
points of distinction
- A classic California Merlot with luscious hints of plum and chocolate
- Matured for 16 months in oak barrels for a complex flavor
vineyard details +
Sonoma Valley AVA
Sonoma Valley AVA is in southern Sonoma County, flanked by the Sonoma Mountains to the west and the Mayacamas to the east. The climate is moderated by the Pacific Ocean’s cool summer fogs and the influence of San Pablo Bay to the south. St. Francis owns 600 acres of carefully chosen, diverse Sonoma County vineyards. The winery’s estate vineyards give it complete control over growing and production, a cornerstone to St. Francis’ quality philosophy. Each of the four estate-owned vineyards has its own soil profile and unique mesoclimate that forms a “tapestry of terroirs” carefully matched to the grape varieties grown there.
about the grape +
Merlot makes plump, succulent wines to drink young or opulently massive wines for aging. Has silky, blackberry and currant fruit, with spice, earth, tobacco and chocolate notes, and soft tannins.
– Chris Louton, Winemaker
“Spicy, yet smooth and silky, this luscious wine pairs perfectly with any occasion."
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon