Sonoma County Merlot 2016
/ Sonoma County
Grapes: 93% Merlot, 5% Malbec, 1% Syrah, 1% Mourvedre
The grapes in our Sonoma County Merlot come from our Certified Sustainable Estate Wild Oak vineyard, located in the heart of Sonoma Valley, as well as from top growers throughout the region. Merlot thrives in Sonoma’s picturesque valleys where warm days are cooled by evening breezes and fog from the Pacific Ocean. Each carefully selected vineyard contributes distinctive and individual qualities to the finished wine. All grapes are gently de-stemmed before cold-soaking for two days to extract optimal color and flavor. The fruit is fermented in separate lots, allowing each lot to be individually and distinctly crafted before being aged in French oak barrels, 25% new. The wines are kept 16 months in barrel before final blending and bottling.
Hilton Head Food & Wine Competition2016 vintage
San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition2016 vintage
Harvest in 2016 started in the middle of August during a pattern of warm sunny days cooled by foggy mornings and breezy afternoons for most of the area. The early months of the year were very mild with little rain allowing the vines to progress steadily and uneventfully. Yields throughout the region were slightly below average but moderate weather starting in early summer gave the fruit plenty of time to develop great color and flavor, resulting in beautifully balanced wines.
This Merlot shows off deep, rich color and structure. Layers of aromas and flavors of cassis, plum, dried currant and savory spices introduce a long, silky finish in this classic wine.
Excellent with beef, duck and blue cheese.
GRAPES: 93% Merlot, 5% Malbec, 1% Syrah, 1% Mourvedre
APPELLATION: Sonoma County
AGING: 16 months in 100% French Oak barrel
points of distinction
- A classic California Merlot with luscious hints of plum and chocolate.
- Matured for 16 months in French oak barrels for a complex flavor.
vineyard details +
Sonoma Valley AVA
Sonoma Valley AVA is in southern Sonoma County, flanked by the Sonoma Mountains to the west and the Mayacamas to the east. The climate is moderated by the Pacific Ocean’s cool summer fogs and the influence of San Pablo Bay to the south. St. Francis owns 600 acres of carefully chosen, diverse Sonoma County vineyards. The winery’s estate vineyards give it complete control over growing and production, a cornerstone to St. Francis’ quality philosophy. Each of the four estate-owned vineyards has its own soil profile and unique mesoclimate that forms a “tapestry of terroirs” carefully matched to the grape varieties grown there.
about the grape +
Merlot makes plump, succulent wines to drink young or opulently massive wines for aging. Has silky, blackberry and currant fruit, with spice, earth, tobacco and chocolate notes, and soft tannins.
– Chris Louton, Winemaker
“Spicy, yet smooth and silky, this luscious wine pairs perfectly with any occasion."
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon