Sonoma County Chardonnay 2019
/ Sonoma County
Grapes: 100% Chardonnay
Grapes that produce Sonoma County Chardonnay come from the St. Francis estate vineyards in Sonoma Valley and Russian River Valley, as well as from growers in Sonoma County’s other top appellations, including Carneros and Alexander Valley. Each carefully selected vineyard contributes distinctive and individual qualities to the finished wine.
Sunset International Wine Competition2019 vintage
The 2019 harvest began before dawn on August 30 after a growing season that started with record rainfall during winter and ended with warm, even temperatures. With few spikes in heat over the season, our vineyards had optimal conditions to develop full-flavored fruit with remarkable color and balanced acidity. Spring rains ended in time for good fruit set and the temperate summer allowed for long hang times and consistent, even ripening. The majority of the fruit was picked in September and the weather continued to cooperate as the days shortened. Warm breezy days, but no rain, took place in October and the last of the grapes were harvested before the end of the month.
This elegant and refreshing Chardonnay bursts with bright flavors and aromas of fresh picked pear, juicy fuji apple, lemon zest and graham cracker. A creamy mouthfeel greets a touch of minerality on the long, crisp finish.
GRAPES: 100% Chardonnay
APPELLATION: Sonoma County
AGING: 7 months in 100% French Oak
FORMATS AVAILABLE: 375ml, 750ml, Kegs
points of distinction
- A classic, California Chardonnay
- During aging, bâtonnage (stirring the lees by hand) is performed to achieve complexity and a rich mouthfeel
- Partial malolactic fermentation
- Available in 375ml beginning March 2021; Also available in kegs.
vineyard details +
Sonoma County extends over 60,000 acres of vineyards and includes 15 unique AVAs, including Sonoma Coast, Sonoma Mountain, Sonoma Valley, Alexander Valley, Bennett Valley, Carneros, Chalk Hill, Dry Creek Valley, Green Valley, Knights Valley, Rockpile and Russian River Valley. More than 50 grape varieties are planted in vineyards owned by over 750 growers and 260 wineries. Maritime-influenced conditions make this area notably cooler than Napa, further inland, and a multitude of beneficial soil types make Sonoma County a prime area for high quality wine growing.
about the grape +
Though it has a distinctive profile, Chardonnay reflects other factors such as soil composition and vinification technique. Chardonnay is a reliable, hardy and prolific vine whose only real vulnerabilities are frost and uneven development of fruit.
– Katie Madigan, Winemaker
“With its perfect balance and seamless structure, this Chardonnay is a classic expression of Sonoma County.”
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon