Sonoma County Chardonnay 2018
/ Sonoma County
Grapes: 100% Chardonnay
Estate-grown Chardonnay grapes from Sonoma Valley are blended with carefully selected fruit from Carneros, Alexander Valley and Russian River Valley to create a balanced and enjoyable wine. Grapes from each vineyard are handpicked in the cool of night to preserve delicate aromas, flavors and bracing acidity, and then fermented separately in either barrel or stainless steel. Barrels are stirred two or three times a week to enhance the wine’s mouthfeel and toasty, complex characters. The wine undergoes malolactic fermentation to convert tart malic acid to soft lactic acid and then is aged before blending.
Sunset International Wine Competition2018 vintage
A fairly mild spring and summer with few heat spikes allowed the 2018 harvest to begin right after Labor day, later than previous years. The consistent growing season and cooler temperatures allowed for slow ripening and deep flavor development resulting in exceptional quality fruit with remarkable balance and brightness.
This is a refreshing, medium-bodied Chardonnay with flavors and aromas of green apple, juicy pear and melon with a background note of marzipan. Bright and crisp, the wine is nicely balanced with a touch of minerality on the smooth and silky finish.
Pair well with crab, chicken and salmon.
GRAPES: 100% Chardonnay
APPELLATION: Sonoma County
AGING: 6 months in 100% French Oak
points of distinction
- A classic, buttery California Chardonnay
- Fruit from: Sonoma Valley, Carneros, Alexander Valley and Russian River Valley
- Grapes handpicked in the cool of night
- A versatile pairing with chicken, crab or cream-sauce dishes
vineyard details +
Sonoma County extends over 60,000 acres of vineyards and includes 15 unique AVAs, including Sonoma Coast, Sonoma Mountain, Sonoma Valley, Alexander Valley, Bennett Valley, Carneros, Chalk Hill, Dry Creek Valley, Green Valley, Knights Valley, Rockpile and Russian River Valley. More than 50 grape varieties are planted in vineyards owned by over 750 growers and 260 wineries. Maritime-influenced conditions make this area notably cooler than Napa, further inland, and a multitude of beneficial soil types make Sonoma County a prime area for high quality wine growing.
about the grape +
Though it has a distinctive profile, Chardonnay reflects other factors such as soil composition and vinification technique. Chardonnay is a reliable, hardy and prolific vine whose only real vulnerabilities are frost and uneven development of fruit.
– Katie Madigan, Winemaker
“With its perfect balance and seamless structure, this Chardonnay is a classic expression of Sonoma County.”
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon