Sonoma County Chardonnay 2016
/ Sonoma County
Grapes: 100% Chardonnay
Grapes that produce our Sonoma County Chardonnay come from our estate vineyards in Sonoma Valley and Russian River Valley, as well as from growers in Sonoma County’s other top appellations, including Carneros and Alexander Valley. Each carefully selected vineyard contributes distinctive and individual qualities to the finished wine. To preserve Chardonnay’s delicate flavors, aromas and acidity, the grapes are picked at night and in the very early morning hours so the fruit arrives cold at the winery. Grapes are then immediately pressed whole cluster and fermented in different lots. The wine undergoes partial malolactic fermentation and is aged for six months in French oak barrels. During aging, bâtonage (stirring the lees by hand) is performed to achieve complexity and a rich mouthfeel.
Jeb Dunnuck2016 vintage
USA Wine Ratings2016 vintage
Harvest in 2016 started in the middle of August during a pattern of warm sunny days cooled by foggy mornings and breezy afternoons for most of the area. The early months of the year were very mild with little rain allowing the vines to progress steadily and uneventfully. Yields throughout the region were slightly below average but moderate weather starting in early summer gave the fruit plenty of time to develop great color and flavor, resulting in beautifully balanced wines.
This is a refreshing, medium-bodied Chardonnay with flavors and aromas of green apple, juicy pear and melon with a background note of marzipan. Bright and crisp, the wine is nicely balanced with a touch of minerality on the smooth and silky finish.
Pair with shellfish, chicken, salmon and pastas or other dishes with cream sauces.
GRAPES: 100% Chardonnay
APPELLATION: Sonoma County
AGING: Aged 6 months in 100% French Oak
points of distinction
- A classic, buttery California Chardonnay.
- Select fruit from the finest Chardonnay regions: Sonoma Valley, Russian River Valley, Carneros and Alexander Valley.
- Chardonnay grapes are handpicked in the cool of night and rushed to the winery before dawn, to preserve delicate aromas, flavors and fresh acidity.
vineyard details +
Sonoma County extends over 60,000 acres of vineyards and includes 15 unique AVAs, including Sonoma Coast, Sonoma Mountain, Sonoma Valley, Alexander Valley, Bennett Valley, Carneros, Chalk Hill, Dry Creek Valley, Green Valley, Knights Valley, Rockpile and Russian River Valley. More than 50 grape varieties are planted in vineyards owned by over 750 growers and 260 wineries. Maritime-influenced conditions make this area notably cooler than Napa, further inland, and a multitude of beneficial soil types make Sonoma County a prime area for high quality wine growing.
about the grape +
Though it has a distinctive profile, Chardonnay reflects other factors such as soil composition and vinification technique. Chardonnay is a reliable, hardy and prolific vine whose only real vulnerabilities are frost and uneven development of fruit.
– Katie Madigan, Winemaker
“With its perfect balance and seamless structure, this Chardonnay is a classic expression of Sonoma County.”
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon