Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon 2018
/ Sonoma County
Grapes: 87% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Merlot, 3% Malbec, 1% Petit Verdot, 1% Cabernet Franc
The fruit for this Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon comes from estate vineyards in the Sonoma and Russian River Valleys, as well as from growers in Sonoma County’s other top appellations, including Dry Creek Valley and Alexander Valley. Each carefully selected vineyard contributes distinctive and individual qualities to the finished wine. All grapes are gently de-stemmed before coldsoaking for two days to extract optimal color and flavor. The fruit is fermented in separate lots, allowing each lot to be individually and distinctly crafted before being aged in French oak barrels, 20% new. The wines are kept 18 months in barrel before final blending.
Sommeliers Choice Awards2018 vintage
The SOMM Journal2018 vintage
A fairly mild spring and summer with few heat spikes allowed our 2018 harvest to begin right after Labor day, later than previous years. The consistent growing season and cooler temperatures allowed for slow ripening and deep flavor development resulting in exceptional quality fruit with remarkable balance and brightness.
Lively and expressive, this Cabernet shows off layered aromatics and rich flavors. Dark red fruits, wild berries and black cherry notes are complemented with spicy accents of clove, licorice and a bit of ground espresso bean. The concentrated flavors and smooth tannins are balanced with a thread of acidity for a long, juicy finish.
GRAPES: 87% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Merlot, 3% Malbec, 1% Petit Verdot, 1% Cabernet Franc
APPELLATION: Sonoma County
AGING: 18 months 100% French Oak; 20% New
FORMATS AVAILABLE: 375ml, 750ml, Kegs
points of distinction
- A rich, full-bodied California Cabernet
- Matured for 18 months in oak barrels for a complex flavor
- Available in 375ml, March 2021; Available in kegs, February 2021
vineyard details +
Sonoma County extends over 60,000 acres of vineyards and includes 15 unique AVAs, including Sonoma Coast, Sonoma Mountain, Sonoma Valley, Alexander Valley, Bennett Valley, Carneros, Chalk Hill, Dry Creek Valley, Green Valley, Knights Valley, Rockpile and Russian River Valley. More than 50 grape varieties are planted in vineyards owned by over 750 growers and 260 wineries. Maritime-influenced conditions make this area notably cooler than Napa, further inland, and a multitude of beneficial soil types make Sonoma County a prime area for high quality wine growing.
about the grape +
Cabernet Sauvignon is adaptable to various growing conditions, and is known for its low yield and late ripeness. It generally produces full-bodied wines with substantial acidity and tannins.
– Chris Louton, Winemaker
“This is a rich and velvety Cabernet Sauvignon meant to be sipped slowly and enjoyed immensely.”
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon