Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon 2017
/ Sonoma County
Grapes: 93% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Merlot
Fruit for our Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon comes from estate vineyards in the Sonoma and Russian River Valleys, as well as from growers in Sonoma County’s other top appellations, including Dry Creek Valley and Alexander Valley. Each carefully selected vineyard contributes distinctive and individual qualities to the finished wine. All grapes are gently de-stemmed before cold-soaking for two days to extract optimal color and flavor. The fruit is fermented in separate lots, allowing each lot to be individually and distinctly crafted before being aged in French oak barrels, 20% new. The wines are kept 18 months in barrel before final blending.
Wine & Spirits2017 vintage
The 2017 growing season started out wet with record-breaking rainfall refreshing our vineyards after several dry years. The mild spring led to timely bud break and good fruit set, followed by ideal conditions of cool mornings and warm, sunny days throughout the summer months. Our first grapes of the season were “blessed” on August 25, officially beginning the St. Francis harvest. A few days of intense heat at the beginning of September sped up ripening throughout the region. Well-timed picks throughout the month meant the majority of fruit was in by the first week of October. Beautiful color, well-defined aromatics and outstanding flavor are all evident in this year’s vintage.
Balanced and vibrant, this full-bodied Cabernet Sauvignon shows off expressive aromas and flavors of dark, red fruits and berries with notes of black licorice, cocoa powder, dried sage and toast. The oak is well-integrated for good structure and a smooth, lingering finish.
GRAPES: 93% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Merlot
APPELLATION: Sonoma County
AGING: 18 months 100% French Oak
points of distinction
- A rich, full-bodied California Cabernet
- Matured for 18 months in oak barrels for a complex flavor
vineyard details +
Sonoma County extends over 60,000 acres of vineyards and includes 15 unique AVAs, including Sonoma Coast, Sonoma Mountain, Sonoma Valley, Alexander Valley, Bennett Valley, Carneros, Chalk Hill, Dry Creek Valley, Green Valley, Knights Valley, Rockpile and Russian River Valley. More than 50 grape varieties are planted in vineyards owned by over 750 growers and 260 wineries. Maritime-influenced conditions make this area notably cooler than Napa, further inland, and a multitude of beneficial soil types make Sonoma County a prime area for high quality wine growing.
about the grape +
Cabernet Sauvignon is adaptable to various growing conditions, and is known for its low yield and late ripeness. It generally produces full-bodied wines with substantial acidity and tannins.
– Chris Louton, Winemaker
“This is a rich and velvety Cabernet Sauvignon meant to be sipped slowly and enjoyed immensely.”
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon