Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon 2015
/ Sonoma County
Grapes: 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Merlot, 4%Petit Verdot, 4% Malbec, 2% Syrah, 1% Mourvedre
Fruit for our Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon comes from our estate vineyards in the Sonoma and Russian River Valleys, as well as from growers in Sonoma County’s other top appellations, including Dry Creek Valley and Alexander Valley. Each carefully selected vineyard contributes distinctive and individual qualities to the finished wine. All grapes are gently de-stemmed before cold-soaking for two days to extract optimal color and flavor. The fruit is fermented in separate lots, allowing each lot to be individually and distinctly crafted before being aged in French oak barrels, 20% new. The wines are kept 18 months in barrel before final blending.
Wine Spectator2016 vintage
2015 brought an early and light harvest that began on August 10, the earliest date in St. Francis’ history. The year started out very warm and dry but then cool, damp weather in May hampered fruit set. Though the result was smaller, looser clusters on the vine, the warm and consistent summer that followed produced high quality fruit with exceptional aromatics and concentrated flavors.
A classic Cabernet Sauvignon that shows off rich color, layered aromatics and good structure. The wine is smooth and vibrant with cassis, dark cherry and black olive aromas preceding rich fruit flavors of dark plum and cherry preserves followed by a note of roasted coffee bean.
An excellent companion to aged blue cheese, braised or grilled beef, and roast pork with fruit.
GRAPES: 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Merlot, 4%Petit Verdot, 4% Malbec, 2% Syrah, 1% Mourvedre
APPELLATION: Sonoma County
ACIDITY: 5.6 g/l
AGING: 18 Months, 100% French Oak
points of distinction
- A rich, full-bodied California Cabernet
- Matured for 18 months in oak barrels for a complex flavor.
vineyard details +
Sonoma County extends over 60,000 acres of vineyards and includes 15 unique AVAs, including Sonoma Coast, Sonoma Mountain, Sonoma Valley, Alexander Valley, Bennett Valley, Carneros, Chalk Hill, Dry Creek Valley, Green Valley, Knights Valley, Rockpile and Russian River Valley. More than 50 grape varieties are planted in vineyards owned by over 750 growers and 260 wineries. Maritime-influenced conditions make this area notably cooler than Napa, further inland, and a multitude of beneficial soil types make Sonoma County a prime area for high quality wine growing.
about the grape +
Cabernet Sauvignon is adaptable to various growing conditions, and is known for its low yield and late ripeness. It generally produces full-bodied wines with substantial acidity and tannins.
– Chris Louton, Winemaker
“This is a rich and velvety Cabernet Sauvignon meant to be sipped slowly and enjoyed immensely.”
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon