Reserve Zinfandel 2018
/ Dry Creek Valley
Grapes: 95% Zinfandel, 5% Petite Sirah
The fruit for this Reserve wine is sourced from the northern end of Dry Creek Valley, a renowned Zinfandel growing region. The Zinfandel was picked in late-August when flavors were at their peak. Added to the blend was Petite Sirah picked in mid-September. Its thick skins and hefty tannins add color and texture to the wine while also contributing balance and length. The grapes were hand-sorted and underwent an extended cold-soak for five days. Infrequent pump overs during fermentation allowed for greater color extraction and the ability to control tannin levels. They then complemented this fleshy wine by aging it in 60% new oak barrels for 20 months to achieve full integration.
Wine Spectator2018 vintage
Ken's Wine Guide.com2018 vintage
A fairly mild growing season with few heat spikes allowed the 2018 harvest to begin right after Labor day, later than previous years. The consistent growing season and cooler temperatures allowed for slow ripening and deep flavor development resulting in exceptional quality fruit with remarkable balance and brightness.
Crafted in a rich and full bodied style, this Zinfandel has a deep, intense color along with spicy aromas of boysenberry pie, dried cranberry and a touch of maple bar that introduce round and full flavors of dark cherry, wild blackberry and chai latte. This opulent Zinfandel is structured but elegant with finely finessed tannins.
Excellent with goat cheese, Asian style seafood and pork.
GRAPES: 95% Zinfandel, 5% Petite Sirah
APPELLATION: Dry Creek Valley
ACIDITY: 0.70 g/100
AGING: 20 Months, 100% French Oak, 60% New Oak
points of distinction
- Aged in 100% French oak barrels
about the grape +
Zinfandel shows ripe, sweet aromas and flavors of black fruits (plums, raisins, dates), with pepper, spice and chocolate notes.
– Katie Madigan, Winemaker
“Dry Creek Valley has a grape-growing history that covers well over a century of time. Much of the Zinfandel grown here is truly “Old Vine”. Reserve Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel is reflective of how this varietal is grown in the warm, temperate climate of the region. Dark black licorice notes and boysenberry overtones compliment a velvety mid-palate with a nice spicy structure.”
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon