Reserve Zinfandel 2017
/ Dry Creek Valley
Grapes: 83% Zinfandel, 14% Petite Sirah, 3% Syrah
This Reserve wine is a combination of both valley floor and hillside fruit from the northern end of Dry Creek Valley, a renowned Zinfandel growing region. After a warm, dry summer, the Zinfandel was picked in mid-September when flavors were at their peak. Added to the blend was Dry Creek Petite Sirah picked at the end of September. Its thick skins and hefty tannins add color and texture to the wine while also contributing balance and length. The grapes were hand-sorted and underwent an extended cold-soak for five days. Infrequent pumpovers during fermentation allowed for greater color extraction and the ability to control tannin levels. They then complemented this fleshy wine by ageing it in 60% new French oak barrels for 20 months to achieve full integration.
Wine Spectator2017 vintage
Wine Advocate2017 vintage
The 2017 growing season started out wet with record-breaking rainfall refreshing the vineyards after several dry years. The mild spring led to timely bud break and good fruit set, followed by ideal conditions of cool mornings and warm, sunny days throughout the summer months. The first grapes of the season were “blessed” on August 25, officially beginning the St. Francis harvest. A few days of intense heat at the beginning of September sped up ripening throughout the region. Well-timed picks throughout the month meant the majority of fruit was in by the first week of October. Beautiful color, well-defined aromatics and outstanding flavor are all evident in this year’s vintage.
Crafted in a full bodied and elegant style, this Zinfandel has a deep, intense color along with spicy aromas of cherry galette, clove, ground espresso bean and a touch of lavender that precede mouth-filling flavors of dark chocolate, wild blackberry and dried cranberry. Rich and velvety in texture, this is an opulent Zin with a long finish.
Excellent with goat cheese, Asian style seafood and pork.
GRAPES: 83% Zinfandel, 14% Petite Sirah, 3% Syrah
APPELLATION: Dry Creek Valley
AGING: 21 months, 100% French oak
points of distinction
- Aged in 100% French oak barrels
about the grape +
Zinfandel shows ripe, sweet aromas and flavors of black fruits (plums, raisins, dates), with pepper, spice and chocolate notes.
– Katie Madigan, Winemaker
“Dry Creek Valley has a grape-growing history that covers well over a century of time. Much of the Zinfandel grown here is truly “Old Vine”. Reserve Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel is reflective of how this varietal is grown in the warm, temperate climate of the region. Dark black licorice notes and boysenberry overtones compliment a velvety mid-palate with a nice spicy structure.”
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon