Reserve Zinfandel 2016
/ Dry Creek Valley
Grapes: 85% Zinfandel, 13% Petite Sirah, 2% Syrah
This Reserve wine is a combination of both valley floor and hillside fruit from the northern end of Dry Creek Valley, a renowned Zinfandel growing region. After a warm, dry summer, the Zinfandel was picked in mid-August when flavors were at their peak. Added to the blend was Petite Sirah picked in mid-September. Its thick skins and hefty tannins add color and texture to the wine while also contributing balance and length. The grapes were hand-sorted and underwent an extended cold-soak for five days. Infrequent pumpovers during fermentation allowed for greater color extraction and the ability to control tannin levels. We then complemented this fleshy wine by aging it in 60% new French oak barrels for 20 months to achieve full integration.
Harvest in 2016 started in the middle of August during a pattern of warm sunny days cooled by foggy mornings and breezy afternoons for most of the area. The early months of the year were very mild with little rain allowing the vines to progress steadily and uneventfully. Yields throughout the region were slightly below average but moderate weather starting in early summer gave the fruit plenty of time to develop great color and flavor, resulting in beautifully balanced wines.
Weighty yet elegant this Zinfandel has a deep, rich color and spicy aromas of clove, vanilla and cherry galette that precede mouth-filling flavors of dark, crushed berries, melted chocolate and baking spices. Velvety in texture, this is an opulent Zin with a long finish.
GRAPES: 85% Zinfandel, 13% Petite Sirah, 2% Syrah
APPELLATION: Dry Creek Valley
AGING: 20 months in 100% French Oak
points of distinction
- Aged in French oak barrels for 20 months
about the grape +
Zinfandel shows ripe, sweet aromas and flavors of black fruits (plums, raisins, dates), with pepper, spice and chocolate notes.
– Katie Madigan, Winemaker
“Dry Creek Valley has a grape-growing history that covers well over a century of time. Much of the Zinfandel grown here is truly “Old Vine”. Reserve Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel is reflective of how this varietal is grown in the warm, temperate climate of the region. Dark black licorice notes and boysenberry overtones compliment a velvety mid-palate with a nice spicy structure.”
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon