Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2018
/ Alexander Valley
Grapes: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
The fruit for this Reserve Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is grown at high elevations on sloped hillsides with good drainage. Climbing as high as 1400 feet along the sun-drenched, western-facing slopes of the Mayacamas Mountains, the fruit sits well above the fog line. Naturally protected from the wind, the area’s dry hot days combine with bracingly cold nights which puts an element of stress on the vines resulting in small clusters, small berries and intensified flavors. The grapes were hand-sorted and underwent a two-day cold soak prior to fermentation to extract optimal color and flavor. After primary fermentation, the wine was then aged in French oak barrels, 75% new, where it underwent malolactic fermentation, followed by 20 months of aging before bottling.
Ken's Wine Guide.com2018 vintage
A fairly mild growing season with few heat spikes allowed our 2018 harvest to begin right after Labor day, later than previous years. The consistent growing season and cooler temperatures allowed for slow ripening and deep flavor development resulting in exceptional quality fruit with remarkable balance and brightness.
Deep and complex with layered aromas and flavors, this wine is a stunner. Notes of cassis, wild blackberry, tobacco and leather are complemented with hints of warm spices and toasted nuts. Plush tannins make for a refined and luscious finish.
Excellent with blue cheese, wild mushrooms and ribeye steak.
GRAPES: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
APPELLATION: Alexander Valley
ACIDITY: 0.68 g/100
AGING: 20 Months, 100% French Oak, 75% New Oak
points of distinction
- Aged in 100% French oak barrels for 20 months
about the grape +
Cabernet Sauvignon is adaptable to various growing conditions, and is known for its low yield and late ripeness. It generally produces full-bodied wines with substantial acidity and tannins.
– Chris Louton, Winemaker
“An excellent expression of mountain Cabernet from Alexander Valley, this wine showcases great concentration of color, dark fruit aromas and a rich texture that reflects the vineyard from which the fruit is grown. Situated high above the fog line along the Western slopes of the Mayacamas Mountains, this Cabernet develops at a slow, steady pace which allows for full development of aromas, flavors while creating balanced acidities.”
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Zinfandel