Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2017
/ Alexander Valley
Grapes: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
The fruit for Reserve Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is grown at high elevations on sloped hillsides with good drainage. Climbing as high as 1400 feet along the sun-drenched, western-facing slopes of the Mayacamas Mountains, the fruit sits well above the fog line. Naturally protected from the wind, dry hot days combine with bracingly cold nights which puts an element of stress on the vines resulting in small clusters, small berries and intensified flavors. The grapes were hand-sorted and underwent a two-day cold soak prior to fermentation to extract optimal color and flavor. After primary fermentation, the wine was then aged in French oak barrels, 75% new, where it underwent malolactic fermentation, followed by 20 months of aging.
Tasting Panel2017 vintage
Wine & Spirits2017 vintage
The 2017 growing season started out wet with record-breaking rainfall refreshing the vineyards after several dry years. The mild spring led to timely bud break and good fruit set, followed by ideal conditions of cool mornings and warm, sunny days throughout the summer months. The first grapes of the season were “blessed” on August 25, officially beginning the St. Francis harvest. A few days of intense heat at the beginning of September sped up ripening throughout the region. Well-timed picks throughout the month meant the majority of fruit was in by the first week of October. Beautiful color, well-defined aromatics and outstanding flavor are all evident in this year’s vintage.
This full-bodied, elegant Cabernet Sauvignon presents layered aromas of cassis, dark chocolate, leather and cola that underscore the concentrated flavors of crushed dark berries, espresso and a hint of anise and vanilla bean. This classic wine has vibrancy, structure and a long, smooth finish.
Excellent with blue cheese, wild mushrooms and ribeye steak.
GRAPES: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
APPELLATION: Alexander Valley
AGING: 20 months, 100% french oak
points of distinction
- Aged in 100% French oak barrels for 20 months
about the grape +
Cabernet Sauvignon is adaptable to various growing conditions, and is known for its low yield and late ripeness. It generally produces full-bodied wines with substantial acidity and tannins.
– Chris Louton, Winemaker
“An excellent expression of mountain Cabernet from Alexander Valley, this wine showcases great concentration of color, dark fruit aromas and a rich texture that reflects the vineyard from which the fruit is grown. Situated high above the fog line along the Western slopes of the Mayacamas Mountains, this Cabernet develops at a slow, steady pace which allows for full development of aromas, flavors while creating balanced acidities.”
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Zinfandel