Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2016
/ Alexander Valley
Grapes: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
The fruit for Reserve Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is grown at high elevations on sloped hillsides with good drainage. Climbing as high as 1400 feet along the sun-drenched, western-facing slopes of the Mayacamas Mountains, the fruit sits well above the fog line. Naturally protected from the wind, dry hot days combine with bracingly cold nights which puts an element of stress on the vines resulting in small clusters, small berries and intensified flavors. The grapes were hand-sorted and underwent a two-day cold soak prior to fermentation to extract optimal color and flavor. After primary fermentation, the wine was then aged in French oak barrels, 75% new, where it underwent malolactic fermentation, followed by 20 months of aging.
Wine Spectator2016 vintage
Harvest in 2016 started in the middle of August during a pattern of warm sunny days cooled by foggy mornings and breezy afternoons for most of the area. The early months of the year were very mild with little rain allowing the vines to progress steadily and uneventfully. Yields throughout the region were slightly below average but moderate weather starting in early summer gave the fruit plenty of time to develop great color and flavor, resulting in beautifully balanced wines.
A classic rich and full-bodied Cabernet Sauvignon, this wine delivers layered aromas of cassis, black tea leaf and baking spices highlighted with big, concentrated flavors of cassis, crushed dark berries, mocha beans and a hint of anise. The finish is vibrant with good structure and length.
Excellent with blue cheese, wild mushrooms and ribeye steak.
GRAPES: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
APPELLATION: Alexander Valley
AGING: Aged 20 months in 100% French Oak
points of distinction
- Aged in 100% French oak barrels for 20 months
about the grape +
Cabernet Sauvignon is adaptable to various growing conditions, and is known for its low yield and late ripeness. It generally produces full-bodied wines with substantial acidity and tannins.
– Chris Louton, Winemaker
“An excellent expression of mountain Cabernet from Alexander Valley, this wine showcases great concentration of color, dark fruit aromas and a rich texture that reflects the vineyard from which the fruit is grown. Situated high above the fog line along the Western slopes of the Mayacamas Mountains, this Cabernet develops at a slow, steady pace which allows for full development of aromas, flavors while creating balanced acidities.”
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Zinfandel