La Court Vigna Veja Barbera d'Asti Superiore Nizza DOCG 2013
/ Barbera d'Asti
Grapes: 100% Barbera
This wine is made with 100% barbera from municipality of Castelnuovo Calcea. Its first vintage produced was 2010. This fascinating vineyard is located at the top of the highest hill of the La Court estate and has an exposure of 360 degrees surface area of the vineyard. Approximately 2.5 acres planted in 1964 in soil called the ‘astiane sands’’ which consists of calcareous clay marl of sedimentary marine origin with good presence of lime and sand, rich in microelements, in particular magnesium. Vineyard exposure is south / south-southwest, vineyard elevation is 250 above sea level. Thinning of excess bunches at end of summer, leaving an average of 5/6 bunches per vine production. Viniculture using the “Integrated Fight” system harvest: manual harvest vinification: fermentation in oak vats with maceration for approximately 20 days with the skins, the last 10 using the “submerged cap” system, at a temperature between 86°F and 81°F.
Wine Enthusiast2013 vintage
A classic winter in terms of temperature and precipitation; both snow and rain were abundant. The vegetative cycle was delayed by 15 days in comparison to the 2012 vintage since the spring was very wet with temperatures below the seasonal averages. Sunny, bright days with fairly high temperatures arrived in early June and continued through July and August. There was very little rainfall in this period. In September, the good weather continued. Nights were particularly cool and there were only a few days of precipitations. The grapes ripened gradually and healthily, with the harvest of Vigna Veja taking place in early October. The grapes had reached perfect phenolic maturation. A great vintage that resulted from a harvest in normal conditions.
Ruby red with brilliant hues of purple. The nose is intense, elegant and complex with notes of small black fruits, black cherry rhubarb and chocolate. The taste has an excellent impact with a velvety harmony, silky and fresh and a persistent long-lasting finish.
Agnolotti with a roasted meat sauce, tagliolini with porcini, braised lamb and well-matured cheeses.
GRAPES: 100% Barbera
APPELLATION: Barbera d’Asti Superiore DOCG
ACIDITY: 6.20 g/l
AGING: Minimum of 3 years, oak-aged for 2 months before refinement in the bottle color
points of distinction
- The label for this special Riserva was created by Ugo Nespolo, one of the greatest exponents of Italian Pop Art
- Produced only in excellent vintages with very limited quantities
- This fascinating vineyard is located at the top of the highest hill of the La Court estate
vineyard details +
La Court is a single Barbera d’Asti vineyard of 6 hectares purchased in 1995 as part of the estate of Azienda Agricola Aluffi in Castelnuovo Calcea, considered to the most beautiful and prestigious property in the heart of the classic Barbera d'Asti zone. Planted in 1973, the vineyard has soils of calcareous marl poor in organic content but rich in magnesium, and a south-southwest exposure at 240 meters elevation.
about the grape +
With relatively high acidity with low tannins, Barbera’s tart red berry aromas and flavors have spicy, herbal notes. Styles range from light quaffers to dense, concentrated wines for aging.
– Michele Chiarlo, Winemaker
“My aim has always been but one: quality.”
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo Riserva DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Rovereto Gavi del Comune di Gavi DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Faset Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Asili Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cannubi Barolo DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo La Court Nizza Riserva DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Cipressi Barbera Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Il Principe Langhe Nebbiolo DOC
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Tortoniano Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Reyna Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Orme 16 Months Barbera d’Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Madri Roero Arneis DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Marne Gavi DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Nivole Moscato d'Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Barolo
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Barbera
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Nebbiolo da Barolo