Cerequio Barolo Riserva DOCG 2016
Grapes: 100% Nebbiolo
Situated between the municipal districts of La Morra and Barolo, Cerequio is considered one the most prestigious crus of Barolo. A magnificent amphitheatre of vineyards where the soils, exposure and microclimate come together to create exceptional Barolos. Choicest position, as described in 1880 by Lorenzo Fantini, author of the first monography about viticulture in the province of Cuneo, it was included among the Top Category crus by Renato Ratti, in the celebrated Mappa del Barolo published in 1965, the basis of today’s classification in MGA, or Additional Geographical Definitions, which designates this area as having absolute prestige.
Wine & Spirits2013 vintage
Wine Advocate2013 vintage
The 2016 vintage will long be remembered for its rare qualitative excellence. The harvest period has seen climatic conditions that have followed the standards of the seasons. without presenting any weather anomaly. allowing the exceptionally healthy grapes to reach perfect and uniform maturation. in accordance to the usual time periods. An adequate thinning of the bunches in August has allowed the plant to channel all of its energy on fewer bunches during the last 40 days. resulting in an excellent maturation that has also enjoyed sunny days and cool nights. Harvest has taken place according to standard time (between October 6 & 12). An outstanding vintage endowed with great structure, complex flavors, and remarkable longevity.
Bright garnet with light orange hues. Rich and powerful at first, but extremely elegant with a texture of silky, enveloping tannins; great harmony and long-tasting flavour. On the nose, the wine is complex and intense with great charm, with balsamic notes, violet, small black fruits, turffle and fine spices.
Pairs well with roasts, tagliolini with truffle, wild game, well-matured cheeses.
GRAPES: 100% Nebbiolo
APPELLATION: Barolo DOCG
ACIDITY: 5.85 g/l
AGING: 3 years in large casks
FORMATS AVAILABLE: <0.5 g/l
points of distinction
- A stellar example of single vineyard Barolo
vineyard details +
Michele Chiarlo owns the Antico Podere Averame in the Cerequio cru of Barolo, a 3-hectare vineyard planted in 1972. Soils are calcareous Sant’Agata marl with poor organic content but rich in microelements such as magnesium and manganese. South-southwest exposure promotes ripening and the vineyard elevation is 320 meters.
about the grape +
Young Nebbiolo can be tough, acidic and tannic; but mature, its blackberry and wild cherry flavors and aromas develop complex and sublime violet, rose petal, truffle and tar notes.
– Michele Chiarlo, Winemaker
“My aim has always been but one: quality.”
- quick view new Michele Chiarlo La Court Vigna Veja Barbera d'Asti Superiore Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Rovereto Gavi del Comune di Gavi DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Faset Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Asili Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cannubi Barolo DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo La Court Nizza Riserva DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Cipressi Barbera Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Il Principe Langhe Nebbiolo DOC
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Tortoniano Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Reyna Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Orme 16 Months Barbera d’Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Madri Roero Arneis DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Marne Gavi DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Nivole Moscato d'Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Barolo
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Barbera
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Nebbiolo da Barolo