Grapes: 100% Nebbiolo
The Cerequio vineyard’s soil composition and especially mild climate are qualities that make it one of the most prestigious crus of the Langhe. Rigorously selected grapes for this auspicious bottling come from an area called the “balcony of the Langhe,” situated at 1,200 feet in elevation within the La Morra commune. With tortonian calcareous Sant’Agata marl, the soils have a bluish color due to the high content of magnesium and manganese. In the cellar, high temperature fermentation on the skins is followed by aging in 700-liter oak tonneaux and then in bottle before release.
Wine Spectator2017 vintage
The 2017 vintage was characterized by a long summer with very little rain. Therefore, agronomic practices were adapted in the vineyards that allowed us to preserve humidity in the soil and freshness of the grapes. Exceptional work was done to oxygenate the roots: the leaves in front of the bunches are not removed to prevent risk of burns and delaying of the clusters thinning operations took place in late summer. The climate in the autumn was characterized by cool nights and warm days leading to perfect ripeness of the grapes one week early than the classic harvest time.
The color is ruby red with garnet hints. Great character and complex notes of mature fruit, mint, eucalyptus, and fine spices on the nose. The palate is rich in structure with a weave of fine tannins, standing out for its elegance and harmony, which highlights this truly unique Barolo cru.
Roats, taglionini with truffle, wild game and well matured cheese.
GRAPES: 100% Nebbiolo
APPELLATION: Barolo DOCG
AGING: The wine was aged for 3 years, 2 years in 55hl oak vats, then 1 year in bottle
points of distinction
- A stellar example from one of the most storied vineyards in Barolo
- Cerequio is considered one of the top 3 single vineyards in Barolo
- Produced only in the great vintages
- This is our most rated wine from italian(more tha 10 times tre bicchieri ) and international reviews (95 rated several times)
vineyard details +
Michele Chiarlo owns the Antico Podere Averame in the Cerequio cru of Barolo, a 3-hectare vineyard planted in 1972. Soils are calcareous Sant’Agata marl with poor organic content but rich in microelements such as magnesium and manganese. South-southwest exposure promotes ripening and the vineyard elevation is 320 meters.
about the grape +
Young Nebbiolo can be tough, acidic and tannic; but mature, its blackberry and wild cherry flavors and aromas develop complex and sublime violet, rose petal, truffle and tar notes.
– Michele Chiarlo, Winemaker
“My aim has always been but one: quality.”
- quick view new Michele Chiarlo La Court Vigna Veja Barbera d'Asti Superiore Nizza DOCG
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo Riserva DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Rovereto Gavi del Comune di Gavi DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Faset Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Asili Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cannubi Barolo DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo La Court Nizza Riserva DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Cipressi Barbera Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Il Principe Langhe Nebbiolo DOC
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Tortoniano Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Reyna Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Orme 16 Months Barbera d’Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Madri Roero Arneis DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Marne Gavi DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Nivole Moscato d'Asti DOCG
- quick view new Michele Chiarlo Palás Gavi DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Barolo
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Barbera
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Nebbiolo da Barolo