Grapes: 100% Nebbiolo
The Cerequio vineyard’s soil composition and especially mild climate are qualities that make it one of the most prestigious crus of the Langhe. Rigorously selected grapes for this auspicious bottling come from an area called the “balcony of the Langhe,” situated at 1,200 feet in elevation within the La Morra commune. With tortonian calcareous Sant’Agata marl, the soils have a bluish color due to the high content of magnesium and manganese. In the cellar, high-temperature fermentation on the skins is followed by aging in 700-liter oak tonneaux and then in bottle before release.
The Wine Odyssey2013 vintage
Wine Advocate2013 vintage
2013 will be remembered as the most delayed in the last 20 years. Winter was cold but average, with frequent snowfall and rain, that lasted from November to April. Beautiful and warm days arrived in June favoring a perfect summer growing season. In August, the beautiful weather continued with excellent day / night temperature variation. These conditions allowed for constant maturity with excellent development of aromas. At the turn of August and September there were three days of precipitation, followed by a month of good weather in October and finishing out the season with several days of rain. Because of the rains, the harvest took place very late, comparable to historic vintages of the 70s and 80s. Happily, all the grapes arrived at the winery in perfect maturity and health conditions. The red wines produced extraordinary results: wines rich, with very distinct scents and with great freshness.
A deep garnet with brilliant highlights, the wine shows ample black currant, apricot, cherry, mint and spice on the nose. The aromas are confirmed on the palate in a rich, full body with healthy tannins and a lingering finish.
Match this wine with beef, buffalo, boar and venison dishes, rich stews and aged Parmesan.
GRAPES: 100% Nebbiolo
APPELLATION: Barolo DOCG
ACIDITY: 6.05 g/l
AGING: Aged for 2 years in average-sized oak casks before refinement in the bottle
points of distinction
- A stellar example of single vineyard Barolo
- Matured two years in oak barrels and one year in bottle before release
vineyard details +
Michele Chiarlo owns the Antico Podere Averame in the Cerequio cru of Barolo, a 3-hectare vineyard planted in 1972. Soils are calcareous Sant’Agata marl with poor organic content but rich in microelements such as magnesium and manganese. South-southwest exposure promotes ripening and the vineyard elevation is 320 meters.
about the grape +
Young Nebbiolo can be tough, acidic and tannic; but mature, its blackberry and wild cherry flavors and aromas develop complex and sublime violet, rose petal, truffle and tar notes.
– Michele Chiarlo, Winemaker
“My aim has always been but one: quality.”
- quick view new Michele Chiarlo La Court Vigna Veja Barbera d'Asti Superiore Nizza DOCG
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo Riserva DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Rovereto Gavi del Comune di Gavi DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Faset Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Asili Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cannubi Barolo DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo La Court Nizza Riserva DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Cipressi Barbera Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Il Principe Langhe Nebbiolo DOC
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Tortoniano Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Reyna Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Orme 16 Months Barbera d’Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Madri Roero Arneis DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Marne Gavi DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Nivole Moscato d'Asti DOCG
- quick view new Michele Chiarlo Palás Gavi DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Barolo
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Barbera
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Nebbiolo da Barolo