Grapes: 100% Nebbiolo
Dating back to the 1700s, the oldest single vineyard, or cru, within the commune of Barolo is Cannubi. Of the five parcels that form Cannubi, the most esteemed is Cannubi proper, where Michele Chiarlo owns 4.5 acres of vines that are more than 20 years old. Chiarlo’s Cannubi plot is the first Barolo vineyard planted to terraces, in guyot style amongst Tortonian and Helevetian calcareous marl. The terraces were created to maximize an exceptional hillside exposure with a more than 50-degree gradient. Exposure is south-southwest. In winemaking, after high-temperature fermentation on the skins, the wine is aged in 700-liter oak tonneaux and in bottle before release.
Wine Enthusiast2017 vintage
The 2017 vintage was characterized by a long summer with very little rain. Therefore, agronomic practices were adapted in the vineyards that allowed us to preserve humidity in the soil and freshness of the grapes. Exceptional work was done to oxygenate the roots: the leaves in front of the bunches are not removed to prevent risk of burns and delaying of the clusters thinning operations took place in late summer. The climate in the autumn was characterized by cool nights and warm days leading to perfect ripeness of the grapes one week early than the classic harvest time.
Intense aristocratic, complex with notes of dried petal rose, liquidize and sweet tobacco. Taste is ample, rich with a texture of long, sweet tannins with outstanding harmony on the finish of the taste.
Pairs well with beef steak, braised veal, game and well aged cheese.
GRAPES: 100% Nebbiolo
APPELLATION: Barolo DOCG
ACIDITY: 5.75 g/l
AGING: Minimum of 3 years. Aged for 2 months in average-sized oak casks before refinement in the bottle
points of distinction
- The dream of all the barolo producers is to own a piece of this single vineyard
- Unique flavors of dried petal roses, liquirice at the taste is alwais rich with long silky tannins
- V.I.V.A “SustainableWine”
- The most storic and famous Barolo single vineyard .First bottle of italian single vineyard was Cannubi 1752
- First barolo terraced vineyards from 1990
about the grape +
Young Nebbiolo can be tough, acidic and tannic; but mature, its blackberry and wild cherry flavors and aromas develop complex and sublime violet, rose petal, truffle and tar notes.
– Michele Chiarlo, Winemaker
“My aim has always been but one: quality.”
- quick view new Michele Chiarlo La Court Vigna Veja Barbera d'Asti Superiore Nizza DOCG
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo Riserva DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Rovereto Gavi del Comune di Gavi DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Faset Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Asili Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo La Court Nizza Riserva DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Cipressi Barbera Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Il Principe Langhe Nebbiolo DOC
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Tortoniano Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Reyna Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Orme 16 Months Barbera d’Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Madri Roero Arneis DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Marne Gavi DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Nivole Moscato d'Asti DOCG
- quick view new Michele Chiarlo Palás Gavi DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Barolo
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Barbera
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Nebbiolo da Barolo