Grapes: 100% Nebbiolo
Dating back to the 1700s, the oldest single vineyard, or cru, within the commune of Barolo is Cannubi. Of the five parcels that form Cannubi, the most esteemed is Cannubi proper, where Michele Chiarlo owns 4.5 acres of vines that are more than 20 years old. Chiarlo’s Cannubi plot is the first Barolo vineyard planted to terraces, in guyot style amongst Tortonian and Helevetian calcareous marl. The terraces were created to maximize an exceptional hillside exposure with a more than 50-degree gradient. Exposure is south-southwest. In winemaking, after high-temperature fermentation on the skins, the wine is aged in 700-liter oak tonneaux and in bottle before release.
Wine & Spirits2016 vintage
Wine Spectator2016 vintage
The 2016 vintage will long be remembered for its rare qualitative excellence. The harvest period has seen climatic conditions that have followed the standards of the seasons. without presenting any weather anomaly. allowing the exceptionally healthy grapes to reach perfect and uniform maturation. in accordance to the usual time periods. An adequate thinning of the bunches in August has allowed the plant to channel all of its energy on fewer bunches during the last 40 days. resulting in an excellent maturation that has also enjoyed sunny days and cool nights. Harvest has taken place according to standard time (between October 6 & 12). An outstanding vintage endowed with great structure, complex flavors, and remarkable longevity.
Ruby-red with brilliant hues. Intense, aristocratic, complex with notes of small fruits, liquorice and sweet tobacco . Enveloping, rich with silky tannins which accompany the sensation of body and fullness .
Pairs well with roasts, tagliolini with truffle, wild game, well-matured cheeses.
GRAPES: 100% Nebbiolo
APPELLATION: Barolo DOCG
ACIDITY: 5.90 g/l
AGING: Minimum of 3 years. Aged for 2 months in average-sized oak casks before refinement in the bottle
points of distinction
- A stellar example of single vineyard Barolo from the oldest Barolo cru
- Matured two years in oak barrels and one year in bottle before release
- V.I.V.A “SustainableWine”
about the grape +
Young Nebbiolo can be tough, acidic and tannic; but mature, its blackberry and wild cherry flavors and aromas develop complex and sublime violet, rose petal, truffle and tar notes.
– Michele Chiarlo, Winemaker
“My aim has always been but one: quality.”
- quick view new Michele Chiarlo La Court Vigna Veja Barbera d'Asti Superiore Nizza DOCG
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo Riserva DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Rovereto Gavi del Comune di Gavi DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Faset Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Asili Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo La Court Nizza Riserva DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Cipressi Barbera Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Il Principe Langhe Nebbiolo DOC
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Tortoniano Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Reyna Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Orme 16 Months Barbera d’Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Madri Roero Arneis DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Marne Gavi DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Nivole Moscato d'Asti DOCG
- quick view new Michele Chiarlo Palás Gavi DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Barolo
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Barbera
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Nebbiolo da Barolo