Grapes: 100% Nebbiolo
Dating back to the 1700s, the oldest single vineyard, or cru, within the commune of Barolo is Cannubi. Of the five parcels that form Cannubi, the most esteemed is Cannubi proper, where Michele Chiarlo owns 4.5 acres of vines that are more than 20 years old.
Chiarlo’s Cannubi plot is the first Barolo vineyard planted to terraces, in guyot style amongst Tortonian and Helevetian calcareous marl. The terraces were created to maximize an exceptional hillside exposure with a more than 50-degree gradient. Exposure is south-southwest. In winemaking, after high-temperature fermentation on the skins, the wine is aged in 700-liter oak tonneaux and in bottle before release.
The 2015 vintage had ideal climatic conditions, which allowed the grapes to mature perfectly. The rain in August, followed by a sunny September with good thermal excursion between day and night temperatures, favoured a slow ripening of the Nebbiolo grapes in Barolo, which resulted in a harvest during a normal time period (October 2-5). The Barolo labels from this vintage have remarkable structure and are distinguished by a marked richness and aromatic elegance with notes of sweet fruit and spice. The palate is silky, with tannins that linger. It is a great vintage that can be enjoyed young, but is also has ageing potential.
Ruby red in color, with complex notes of small red fruit, liquorice and sweet tobacco on the nose. The palate is enveloping, rich with silky tannins and fantastic fullness and body.
Great pairings for this wine are red meat dishes, game and ripe, hard cheeses.
GRAPES: 100% Nebbiolo
APPELLATION: Barolo DOCG
ACIDITY: 5.90 g/l
AGING: The wine was aged for 3 years, 2 years in 55hl oak vats, then 1 year in bottle
points of distinction
- A stellar example of single vineyard Barolo from the oldest Barolo cru
- Matured two years in oak barrels and one year in bottle before release
- V.I.V.A “SustainableWine”
about the grape +
Young Nebbiolo can be tough, acidic and tannic; but mature, its blackberry and wild cherry flavors and aromas develop complex and sublime violet, rose petal, truffle and tar notes.
– Michele Chiarlo, Winemaker
“My aim has always been but one: quality.”
- quick view new Michele Chiarlo La Court Vigna Veja Barbera d'Asti Superiore Nizza DOCG
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo Riserva DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Rovereto Gavi del Comune di Gavi DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Faset Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Asili Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo DOCG
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo La Court Nizza Riserva DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Cipressi Barbera Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Il Principe Langhe Nebbiolo DOC
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Tortoniano Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Reyna Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Orme 16 Months Barbera d’Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Madri Roero Arneis DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Marne Gavi DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Nivole Moscato d'Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Barolo
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Barbera
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Nebbiolo da Barolo