Quinta da Roêda Vintage Porto 2008
/ Douro Valley Porto
Grapes: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão, Tinta Amarela
Quinta da Roêda, owned by the Croft family since 1875, has long been considered one of the great Porto vineyards, producing characteristically plump, full, fruit-forward wines. This single-quinta (single-vineyard) vintage Porto is produced only in years of exceptional quality when a general Porto vintage is not declared. The grapes are trod by foot in granite lagares to minimize the release of harsh, bitter compounds from skins and seeds, and the wine spends two years aging in vat before bottling.
Wine & Spirits2008 vintage
Wine Spectator2008 vintage
Flowering occurred under wet and cold conditions and, as a result, poor set affected all grape varieties, resulting in lower yields, but with great concentration of flavor. The temperatures for the 2008 growing season were lower than average. The final ripening of the grapes was greatly enhanced by rain between September 4 and 7, and a further downpour just before the vintage started. A key characteristic of the 2008 vintage were the hot days combined with cold nights--perfect weather conditions not only for the final ripening of the grapes, but also for the fermentation rates. This provided wonderful freshness of fruit, complexity and great structure.
An opaque dark purple in color, with raspberry and spice aromas and intense red berry, dark cherry and plum flavors. This wine is full-bodied, with vigorous tannins that will mellow with bottle age. This wine will develop in the bottle for 10 to 15 years and should be decanted due to sediment in the bottle.
Pair with aged cheeses such as Gouda, dark chocolate torte or flourless chocolate cake and desserts made with berries.
GRAPES: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão, Tinta Amarela
PH: 94.9 g/l
ACIDITY: 4.55 g/l
AGING: 2 years in vat
points of distinction
- Produced exclusively from fruit from the famed Quinta da Roêda
- A collectible, vintage wine that doesn’t need to age as long as a traditional vintage wine
- One of few wines that pairs perfectly with chocolate desserts
about the grape +
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– Natasha Robertson Bridge, Chief Blender
“Croft is defined by an abundance of rich, plump fruit with a delicious exotic quality and a distinctive herbaceous, spicy character.”
- quick view new Croft Quinta da Roêda Serikos
- quick view new Croft 430th Anniversary Reserve Ruby
- quick view new Croft Reserve Ruby Porto
- quick view Croft Reserve Tawny Porto
- quick view Croft Distinction Porto
- quick view Croft 10 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Croft Fine Ruby
- quick view Croft Fine Tawny
- quick view Croft Classic Vintage Porto
- quick view Croft Croft PINK