Classic Vintage Porto 2017
/ Douro Valley Porto
Grapes: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Francesa, Tinto Cão, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca
Quinta da Roêda forms the backbone of the Croft Vintage Porto, produced only in years when vineyard conditions are optimal and warrant a “declared vintage.” Wines from Quinta da Roêda are characteristically plump, full and vigorously fruity, with the hallmark aroma of the gum cistus bush—a character that informs the Croft house style. The grapes are trod by foot in granite lagares to minimize the release of harsh, bitter compounds from skins and seeds, and the wine spends two years aging in vat before bottling. Croft Vintage Porto will continue to develop in the bottle and may be cellared for decades before opening.
The vineyard cycle got off to an early start, with the first buds emerging between March 8th and 10th, in spite of the cold, dry weather. The very dry Spring stood out as a defining feature of the 2017 viticultural year. Only a few millimetres of rain fell in April, with May and June continuing dry. Temperatures were above average for the period. The early development of the vines continued, with flowering starting right at the beginning of May and a very early véraison making its appearance around June 18th. The drought conditions continued throughout the summer and until the end of September. July was hot but, fortunately, the temperatures in August fell to more moderate levels, particularly at night, giving balance to the ripening crop. Picking at Quinta da Roêda began on August 31st, the earliest start date for over 70 years. The exceptional density of the musts, yielded by thick skinned grapes led to impressive scale and richness of the wines.
Inky core fading to a magenta rim. A seductive nose, ripe and voluptuous with depth and density. Plump, juicy blackcurrant, black cherry and raspberry. The nose is then drawn into a vortex of complex aromas in which resiny scents of eucalyptus blend with notes of sage and mint with hints of grapefruit and a mellow spiciness. On the palate, firm, sinewy tannins are wrapped in a thick envelope of dense, velvety texture. This is one of the most exotic and beguiling wines of the vintage. It is a weighty wine, dense and deeply colored, with the concentration and stamina to ensure a long life in bottle.
GRAPES: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Francesa, Tinto Cão, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca
ACIDITY: 4.71 g/l
AGING: Aged for 2 years in large, conditioned French oak vats before bottling. Will continue to age in bottle for decades.
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 97 g/l
points of distinction
- Wonderfully aromatic with a rich fruitiness and an exotic herbal character
- Pairs perfectly with chocolate and chocolate based desserts
- Made with 100% foot-trodden grapes from our own properties
- This wine will develop for decades in the bottle
- One of the finest Croft Vintages of recent years.
about the grape +
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– Natasha Robertson Bridge, Chief Blender
“Croft is defined by an abundance of rich, plump fruit with a delicious exotic quality and a distinctive herbaceous, spicy character.”
- quick view new Croft Brandy
- quick view new Croft Quinta da Roêda Serikos
- quick view new Croft 430th Anniversary Reserve Ruby
- quick view new Croft Reserve Ruby Porto
- quick view Croft Reserve Tawny Porto
- quick view Croft Distinction Porto
- quick view Croft 10 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Croft Fine Ruby
- quick view Croft Fine Tawny
- quick view Croft Quinta da Roêda Vintage Porto
- quick view Croft Croft PINK