Te Muna Road Vineyard Pinot Noir 2015
Grapes: 100% Pinot Noir
In the cool-climate region of Martinborough, the 81.5 acres terraced Te Muna Road Vineyard is planted with eight clones of Pinot Noir in more than 40 different parcels. On the vineyard’s two distinct terraces, stony soils produce exceptional Pinot Noir. Grapes were 100% hand harvested and 85% destemmed before undergoing fermentation with indigenous yeasts in a combination of French oak cuves and open-top stainless steel tanks. The wine matured for 10 months in French oak barriques, 22% new, prior to coarse filtration before bottling.
San Francisco International Wine Competition2015 vintage
Tasting Panel2015 vintage
The third of three consecutive exceptional vintages. After two great years in 2013 and 2014, the 2015 season started with a cool spring where the vines had to be protected from late night frosts. Combined with persistent North West winds the flowering for Merlot was delayed, but proceeded under ideal sunny dry conditions throughout the summer. Despite generally cool temperatures throughout the summer, there was a warm, dry spell that helped shift ripening back toward normal harvest dates. The Gimblett Gravels Vineyard fruit was harvested 10 days later than normal, but yielded exceptional quality especially in our Merlot and Cabernet Franc.
Bright red cherry colour. Seductive aromas of plums, raspberry, dried rose petals and damp earth. Delicious and long feel on the palate with a fresh core of red fruits integrated with fine dry tannins to create a beautiful yet texturally dry finish.
This wine pairs nicely with all types of lamb and game dishes, particularly whole duck and/or duck breast preparations.
GRAPES: 100% Pinot Noir
ACIDITY: 5.3 g/L
AGING: Maturation 9 months in French Oak & Stainless steel tanks
points of distinction
- Distinct, higher vineyard terrace with old, stony soils yields impeccable Pinot Noir
- The higher-elevation Te Muna Road Vineyard is harvested about a week later than nearby sites; grapes have greater freshness and acidity
- Single-vineyard Pinot Noir with complex, subtle fruit and very good length
about the grape +
In France, makes a silky, deceptively powerful wine of elegant, complex aromas and subtle, red fruit flavors, with earthy, floral, mushroom and mineral notes. In California, shows ripe, sweet characters.
– Julian Grounds, Winemaker
I am fortunate to lead an extraordinary group of people who want to be part of creating something truly magnificent that successive generations can admire and enjoy for years to come. I love our great estates and feel a strong connection to their complexities and subtleties.
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Martinborough Pinot Noir
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Aroha Pinot Noir
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Te Muna Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Kidnappers Vineyard Chardonnay
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Te Kahu Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Sophia Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Le Sol Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view new Craggy Range Martinborough Sauvignon Blanc