Te Muna Road Vineyard Pinot Noir 2014
Grapes: 100% Pinot Noir
In the cool-climate region of Martinborough, the 81.5 acres terraced Te Muna Road Vineyard is planted with eight clones of Pinot Noir in more than 40 different parcels. On the vineyard’s two distinct terraces, stony soils produce exceptional Pinot Noir. Grapes were 100% hand harvested and 85% destemmed before undergoing fermentation with indigenous yeasts in a combination of French oak cuves and open-top stainless steel tanks. The wine matured for 10 months in French oak barriques, 22% new, prior to coarse filtration before bottling.
Wine Enthusiast2014 vintage
The 2014 season started very favorably with noticeably warmer conditions experienced in spring and early summer compared to the district average. Phenology in Pinot Noir was 5-7 days ahead and above average temperatures along with rainfall promoted vigorous, healthy early vine growth. In December, conditions cooled somewhat closer to normal and rainfall returned to near average, which provided ideal conditions around flowering and fruitset. Fruitset was close to perfect due to warm, settled dry conditions resulting in uniform berry-set in all major varieties and above average bunch weights. This prompted some intensive early crop thinning to keep the vines in balance. Ideal dry conditions persisted into February and March, which resulted in canopy growth in favor of fruit development. These cooler conditions persisted into February and March, which resulted in phenology returning to normal while preserving the delicate acidity and fruit freshness. Harvest commenced on the 27th of March and was completed for all varieties on the 7th of April, our earliest finish to date. A memorable vintage.
Bright red cherry color with a crimson hue. Seductive aromas of dark cherry, dried rose petals, thyme and damp earth. Beautifully varietal, elegant and long on the palate. Medium weight red fruit richness and fine-grained tannins are drawn out long across the palate by acidity to create a finish which is savory and dry.
This wine pairs nicely with all types of lamb and game dishes, particularly whole duck and/or duck breast preparations.
GRAPES: 100% Pinot Noir
ACIDITY: 5.1 g/l
AGING: 10 months in French oak barriques, 22% new
RESIDUAL SUGAR: Nil
points of distinction
- Distinct, higher vineyard terrace with old, stony soils yields impeccable Pinot Noir
- The higher-elevation Te Muna Road Vineyard is harvested about a week later than nearby sites; grapes have greater freshness and acidity
- Single-vineyard Pinot Noir with complex, subtle fruit and very good length
about the grape +
In France, makes a silky, deceptively powerful wine of elegant, complex aromas and subtle, red fruit flavors, with earthy, floral, mushroom and mineral notes. In California, shows ripe, sweet characters.
– Julian Grounds, Winemaker
I am fortunate to lead an extraordinary group of people who want to be part of creating something truly magnificent that successive generations can admire and enjoy for years to come. I love our great estates and feel a strong connection to their complexities and subtleties.
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Martinborough Pinot Noir
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Aroha Pinot Noir
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Te Muna Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Kidnappers Vineyard Chardonnay
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Te Kahu Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Sophia Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Le Sol Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view new Craggy Range Martinborough Sauvignon Blanc