Kidnappers Vineyard Chardonnay 2020
Grapes: 100% Chardonnay
The cool but sunny environment of the Kidnappers Vineyard, located near Hawkes Bay, and its shallow, warm clay loam soils allow the development of intense Chardonnay flavors in the grapes. The traditional winemaking techniques of the Chablis region of France are used in the production of this wine. The grapes are hand harvested and whole-bunch pressed before undergoing fermentation in stainless steel, closed oak tanks and new French oak puncheons. The wine is matured on the lees in oak barrels before bottling.
Wine Spectator2020 vintage
The 2020 vintage was a challenging one with a spring that included frost and hailstorms. After spring the weather became more favorable, but still had its challenges, temperatures were slightly cooler than average but more importantly were considerably drier to the point of drought, reminiscent of the 2013 vintage. Fruit was harvested in pristine condition.
Pale lime to pale straw in color, this was one of the best vintages of this vineyard in recent memory. Great complexity with nashi pear, roasted almonds but also undeniable citrus notes particularly featuring lemon zest. The palate is as compelling as it is fresh. Pithy grapefruit texture carries kafir lime leaf and freshly ground cashew notes across the mouth. Fantastic persistent acidity ensures that one reaches almost immediately for the second glass.
Comté cheese and truffle pasta.
GRAPES: 100% Chardonnay
APPELLATION: Hawkes Bay
ACIDITY: 6.1 g/L
AGING: Aged for 8 months in 15% new French oak barrels before fining and filtering
points of distinction
- Single-vineyard Chardonnay
- Made in the traditional Chablis style
vineyard details +
Kidnappers Vineyard is located at Cape Kidnappers on the Hawkes Bay coastline, where spring and autumn are warm and sunny and the summer is tempered by the cooling sea breeze. The shallow, warm clay loam soils and careful selection of clones in this environment allow the development of very pure, cool flavors in the Chardonnay grown there.
about the grape +
Though it has a distinctive profile, Chardonnay reflects other factors such as soil composition and vinification technique. Chardonnay is a reliable, hardy and prolific vine whose only real vulnerabilities are frost and uneven development of fruit.
– Julian Grounds, Winemaker
I am fortunate to lead an extraordinary group of people who want to be part of creating something truly magnificent that successive generations can admire and enjoy for years to come. I love our great estates and feel a strong connection to their complexities and subtleties.
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Martinborough Pinot Noir
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Aroha Pinot Noir
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Te Muna Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Te Kahu Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Te Muna Road Vineyard Pinot Noir
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Sophia Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Le Sol Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view new Craggy Range Martinborough Sauvignon Blanc