Grapes: 100% Gamay
Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent Clos du Grand Carquelin is a special cuvée from a parcel that covers 12 acres. The light soil is composed of sand and a small amount of clay atop bedrock that contains a high percentage of manganese. This helps to impart deep color and mineral character to the wine. After a portion of the grapes is destemmed, the wine is vinified in closed vats with pumping over. The wine is then matured in oak barrels for 10 to 11 months.
Wine Spectator2016 vintage
Wine Advocate2016 vintage
The 2016 growing season saw a little bit of everything: frequent rainfall, cool conditions, heat spikes, droughts and hail. The harvest began on September 19, stemming from an Indian Summer, the second-latest harvest in 25 years. The intensity, depth and structural elegance of the wines from Carquelin, Rochegrès, Thorins and Côte du Py paid testimony to the perfect harmony between Gamay and the volcanic terroirs of Beaujolais.
With a deep cherry red color, the Clos du Grand Carquelin has profound and concentrated aromas of plush red fruits and spices that are both dense and elegant. In the mouth, the full-bodied flavors are fleshy, chewy and generous and the wine’s noble tannins help to impart a balanced, harmonious and delicate character overall.
This wine will perfectly match red meats in sauce, venison and other game and most cheeses.
GRAPES: 100% Gamay
ACIDITY: 3.21 g/l
AGING: Aged in oak barrels for 12 months
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 0.3%
points of distinction
- Moulin-a-Vent is considered the region's most Burgundian Cru
- A single vineyard wine from a great Beaujolais Cru
- Matures in oak barrels for 10 months, unusual for a Beaujolais
- Can be enjoyed immediately or cellared for 10 to 20 years
about the grape +
Gamay is loaded with bright, plump raspberry and cherry fruit, with notes of black pepper.
– Cyril Chirouze, Winemaker
“A good wine is a drink that tastes good; a great wine is alive.”
- quick view Château des Jacques Fleurie
- quick view Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent
- quick view Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent Clos des Thorins
- quick view Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent La Roche
- quick view Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent Clos de Rochegrès
- quick view Château des Jacques Morgon
- quick view Château des Jacques Morgon Côte du Py