Grapes: 100% Gamay
Morgon is one of the 10 Crus of the Beaujolais. The Côte du Py vineyard consists of 13 acres situated on the slopes of an extinct volcano over the village of Villié Morgon, benefiting from an ideal terroir of granite and schist. After being fermented in vats for 20 days, this wine is matured in oak barrels for 12 months, 30% in new oak barrels.
Wine Enthusiast2016 vintage
Wine Advocate2016 vintage
The 2016 growing season saw a little bit of everything: frequent rainfall, cool conditions, heat spikes, droughts and hail. The harvest began on September 19, stemming from an Indian Summer, the second-latest harvest in 25 years. The intensity, depth and structural elegance of the wines from Carquelin, Rochegrès, Thorins and Côte du Py paid testimony to the perfect harmony between Gamay and the volcanic terroirs of Beaujolais.
With a deep cherry color and nut and red fruit aromas, this wine has firm tannins that can be austere in their youth. Can be consumed immediately, but will soften and develop with a few years of ageing.
Pairs well with duck, squab and other poultry, especially in a thick plum sauce, and strong cheeses.
GRAPES: 100% Gamay
ACIDITY: 3.93 g/l
AGING: French oak barrels for 12 months, 30% new
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 0.2 g/l
points of distinction
- A single-vineyard wine from Morgon, one of the 10 Crus of Beaujolais
- Matures in oak barrels for 12 months, unusual for a Beaujolais
- Can be enjoyed immediately or cellared for 10 to 20 years
about the grape +
Gamay is loaded with bright, plump raspberry and cherry fruit, with notes of black pepper.
– Cyril Chirouze, Winemaker
“A good wine is a drink that tastes good; a great wine is alive.”
- quick view Château des Jacques Fleurie
- quick view Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent
- quick view Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent Clos des Thorins
- quick view Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent La Roche
- quick view Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent Clos du Grand Carquelin
- quick view Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent Clos de Rochegrès
- quick view Château des Jacques Morgon