Grapes: 100% Gamay
Atop the hierarchy of Beaujolais Crus are Moulin-à-Vent and Morgon, with notable aging potential. Often called the most “Burgundian” cru, Moulin-à-Vent shows complexity, finesse and length, while Morgon is the most robust and structured. Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent can age at least 10-20 years; Morgon can mature a minimum 5-20 years. Purchased by Maison Louis Jadot in 2001, this south- to southeast-facing vineyard is situated on the slopes over the village of Villié Morgon. It covers 87.5 acres of the Morgon appellation, one of the 10 crus of Beaujolais. After vinification, the wine is matured in oak barrels before bottling.
The 2015 growing season featured steady warmth and a series of heat spikes, with nighttime temperatures remaining mostly moderate. The harvest began on August 24, as the last days of that month brought another heat wave. While similar previous vintages did not produce great wines, 2015 saw grapes that had great structure and complexity that will allow the wines to age well with classic notes of black fruit and kirsch.
Very deep in color, this wine - blend of three singlevineyards (Bellevue, Côte du Py & Roche noire) - shows a brilliant and large aromatic palette (spices, ripen black fruit). On the palate, the tannins are still a bit firm - which indicates the potential of ageing – and they are well balanced by a great tension.
A perfect partner for charcuterie, Italian foods and red and white meats.
GRAPES: 100% Gamay
AGING: Aged 10 Months - 1/2 in tank, 1/2 in oak barrels (new & old)
points of distinction
- Morgon is one of the 10 crus of Beaujolais.
- The wine matures for eight months in oak barrels, unusual for Beaujolais.
- Can be enjoyed immediately or cellared for 10 years or more.
about the grape +
Gamay is loaded with bright, plump raspberry and cherry fruit, with notes of black pepper.
– Cyril Chirouze, Winemaker
“A good wine is a drink that tastes good; a great wine is alive.”
- quick view Château des Jacques Fleurie
- quick view Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent
- quick view Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent Clos des Thorins
- quick view Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent La Roche
- quick view Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent Clos du Grand Carquelin
- quick view Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent Clos de Rochegrès
- quick view Château des Jacques Morgon Côte du Py