Lunita Pinot Noir 2019
Grapes: 100% Pinot noir
AVAILABLE MARKETS - New York, New Jersey, Connecticut
Lunita is a single vineyard Pinot Noir made from very old, ungrafted vines located in a 1.5 hectare estate vineyard. The soils are composed of equal amounts of calcareous material, sand pebbles, and clay. The grapes are picked early in the morning and are whole-cluster fermented in open cement tanks. 50% of the wine is aged in used oak barrels, while the other 50% ages in cement.
The 2019 vintage will go down as one of the best vintages of the decade with red wines showing outstanding quality. In general, the wines of the vintage should be classified as very good to excellent quality. After a notably cool and dry spring, the cool temperatures and dry conditions continued throughout the growing season, allowing the grapes to hang on the vine and ripen 1-3 weeks longer than normal. This prolonged growing season allowed the grapes to ripen slowly and evenly, with the cool temperatures and dry conditions producing lower yields. The result was a great balance between aromatic expression and concentration of color and tannins. The wines display elegance and balance with fresh acidity and superb aging potential.
Lunita shows a beautiful floral nose with predominant notes of rose petals, its tannins are very well integrated, soft and silky, a typical trait of old ungrafted vineyard wines. Its structure is present without being overpowering and it displays a long finish with cherry notes and a bit of earthyness.
Poultry, roast-beef, also stews and roasted vegetables, such as beets or other winter roots.
GRAPES: 100% Pinot noir
ACIDITY: 4.95 g/l
AGING: 11 months in concrete tanks
points of distinction
- A 100% biodynamic and 100% certified organic Pinot Noir
- Vines planted in 1950’s; low yields
- Aged on its own lees in used French barrels; bottled without filtration.
vineyard details +
Lunita vineyard is a small plot of ungrafted Pinot Noir vines of masale selection that is farmed in an organic and biodynamic fashion. The soil composition is a mix of clay, pebbles, sand and limestone, however the clay is the predominant element. The vines were planted in the 1950’s and have low yields.
about the grape +
In France, makes a silky, deceptively powerful wine of elegant, complex aromas and subtle, red fruit flavors, with earthy, floral, mushroom and mineral notes. In California, shows ripe, sweet characters.
– Piero Incisa della Rocchetta, Owner
“I wanted to make pure, authentic Pinot Noir with its own special character—and then I found these forgotten, old vines in Patagonia….”
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Chacra Barda
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Chacra Mainqué Chardonnay
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Chacra Chardonnay
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Chacra Cincuenta y Cinco Pinot Noir
- quick view new Chacra Treinta y Dos Pinot Noir