Vine Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon 2016
/ Napa Valley
Grapes: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
Vine Hill Ranch is a blend of two clones of Cabernet Sauvignon from three special blocks in the Vine Hill Ranch vineyard in Napa Valley’s western benchlands near Oakville. Hand-harvested at night to ensure the fruit’s freshness and varietal purity, each of the three vineyard blocks is fermented and barrel-aged separately. After the grapes are gently destemmed and crushed, the must from each of the three vineyard lots is cold-soaked in stainless steel tanks for 48 hours to extract color, aromas, flavors and tannins prior to initiating fermentation with a cultured French yeast strain. Once fermentation completes, the wines enjoy an extended maceration on their skins to extract color and flavor and soften tannins.
Wine Spectator2009 vintage
Wine Spectator Insider2009 vintage
2016 began with the most abundant rainfall we’ve experienced in three decades, which refreshed and revitalized the vines after years of drought. Warm spring temperatures prompted an earlier-than-average budbreak, followed by a relatively cool summer with no heat spikes; these conditions allowed grapes to ripen slowly and steadily, and a warm, dry September helped them develop to full maturity. 2016 is another standout Cabernet Sauvignon vintage, with smaller yields of exceptional quality.
A big, intense wine with aromas of blackberry and boysenberry accented with hints of dark chocolate. The deep, dark fruit extends over an opulent palate supported by a firm tannin structure, and then on into a dense, powerful finish.
We enjoy it with classic cabernet sauvignon pairings like lamb chops, short ribs, char-broiled steak, or decadent dark chocolate cake.
GRAPES: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
APPELLATION: Vine Hill Ranch, Oakville
ACIDITY: 0.64 g/100 ml
AGING: 22 Months In French Oak, 63% New
points of distinction
- Single-vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon from the Oakville appellation
- The 3 lots fermented and matured separately for optimal fruit and terroir expression
- Matured 22 months in French oak barrels, 63% new
vineyard details +
Vine Hill Ranch Vineyard
Several special blocks of grapes grown in the acclaimed Vine Hill Ranch, on Oakville’s gently sloping western benchlands, yield the fruit for Cakebread’s single-vineyard wine of this name. The family has purchased grapes from Vine Hill Ranch owner Bob Phillips since 1981. The higher blocks of this vineyard have a sloping grade, gravel soil and mature vines for concentrated fruit; lower benchland blocks have deep, loamy soils and younger vines that lend energy and bright fruit to the wine.
about the grape +
Cabernet Sauvignon is adaptable to various growing conditions, and is known for its low yield and late ripeness. It generally produces full-bodied wines with substantial acidity and tannins.
– Stephanie Jacobs, Winemaker
“Our emphasis on fruit quality captures the expression of black fruit and rich dark chocolate in the wine.”
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Chardonnay
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Chardonnay Reserve
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Benchland Select Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Dancing Bear Ranch
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Two Creeks Vineyards Pinot Noir