Napa Valley Chardonnay Reserve 2014
/ Napa Valley
Grapes: 100% Chardonnay
Chardonnay Reserve is vinified exclusively from grapes grown in Cakebread’s four Estate vineyards in the Carneros district of southern Napa Valley. These cool‐climate sites provide ideal conditions for the cultivation of world‐class chardonnay. Nine superior clones of Chardonnay further enhance the quality and complexity of this wine. The grapes were night harvested and whole-cluster pressed, and each clonal selection was fermented and barrel‐aged separately. Fermentation took place in French oak barrels, 30% new, with 38% of the wine put through a secondary malolactic fermentation to enhance its texture and foster a rich, creamy mouthfeel. Fifteen months of barrel aging with periodic stirring of the lees optimized wine’s complex aromas, rich texture and bright, concentrated flavors.
Ken's Wine Guide.com2014 vintage
San Francisco International Wine Competition2014 vintage
In 2014 – another stellar vintage in Napa Valley – a warm, dry spring initiated early budbreak, ensured trouble-free flowering and grape set, and led to a consistently mild summer, with few heat spikes. These conditions fostered slow, even ripening of our estate Carneros chardonnay grapes, which were harvested with concentrated flavors and vibrant acidity between August 25th and September 5th.
Seductively fresh, creamy aromas of golden apple and Asian pear fruit are nicely complemented by notes of crème brulee, vanilla and mineral. Rich and full on the palate, the wine reveals a core of deeply concentrated spiced apple, melon and citrus flavors that maintain their intensity throughout a long, mineral-tinged finish. Boasting deep reserves of fruit coupled with exemplary balance, this wine is delicious now, but will age beautifully in bottle for another 5-7 years.
Ideal with salmon, swordfish, veal and light pork, bouillabaisse or cream bisques.
GRAPES: 100% Chardonnay
APPELLATION: 100% Estate Carneros, Napa Valley
ACIDITY: 0.65 g/100 ml
MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION: 38%
points of distinction
- A classic, oak-aged Carneros Chardonnay
- A portion of the wine completes malolactic fermentation, to enhance richness and mouthfeel
- Produced entirely from estate vineyards in Foster Road, Tinsley, Cuttings Wharf and Milton Road, in the cool-climate Carneros district
about the grape +
Though it has a distinctive profile, Chardonnay reflects other factors such as soil composition and vinification technique. Chardonnay is a reliable, hardy and prolific vine whose only real vulnerabilities are frost and uneven development of fruit.
– Stephanie Jacobs, Winemaker
“[This wine] exemplifies balance of ripe fruit, fresh acidity, sweet oak and malolactic character. As the wine ages, these elements meld into a complexity that defies recognition of single components.”
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Chardonnay
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Benchland Select Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Vine Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Dancing Bear Ranch
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Two Creeks Vineyards Pinot Noir