Dancing Bear Ranch 2015
/ Napa Valley
Grapes: 92% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Cabernet Franc
Dancing Bear Ranch is an extraordinary blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc from the Dancing Bear Ranch Estate Vineyard on Howell Mountain. Divided into 24 separate blocks based on varietal type, sun exposure, soil profile, and clonal selection, the vineyard is planted in dry, rocky, volcanic soils between 1,400 and 1,900 feet of elevation and enjoys a near 360-degree exposure, offering a diverse range of growing conditions. The well-drained soils and position high above the fog line routinely stresses the vines, yielding small crops of intensely flavorful grapes. Fermentation and maceration are carefully managed to monitor tannin levels and limit over-extraction of the small berries with intense mountain character. Free-run component wines are aged in French oak barrels and subsequently blended, for a total of 22 months in 62% new French oak prior to bottling.
Jeb Dunnuck2015 vintage
After abundant harvests from 2012 through 2014, the 2015 growing season experienced more weather extremities that led to a small, yet outstanding, vintage. 2015 was the earliest harvest ever in Cakebread Cellars’ 40+ year history. A warm, dry winter fostered early bud-break, though a cold spell during fruit set limited cluster sizes. A warm summer and late-season heat spikes ensured beautiful ripening.
Bright, high-toned aromas of ripe boysenberry, blackberry and dark cherry fruit are coupled with fascinating floral and forest-floor spice scents in the captivating nose of this complex mountain Cabernet. Dense and deeply concentrated on the palate, the wine offers intense black fruit flavors that segue into an extremely long, lush, dark-fruit finish laced with invigorating spice and mineral tones. Beautifully structured by big, but supple tannins and fresh acidity, Dancing Bear, despite its intensity, displays a charming elegance. Delicious upon release but will more than reward another decade of aging.
Pair with steak, braised meats, ribs or roasts.
GRAPES: 92% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Cabernet Franc
APPELLATION: Dancing Bear Ranch, Howell Mountain, Napa Valley
ACIDITY: 0.66g/100 ml
AGING: Matured 22 months in French oak, 62% new
points of distinction
- 100% Estate grown single-vineyard blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc
- The vineyard’s location on Howell Mountain features elevations of 1,400 to 1,900 feet and near 360 degree exposure
- Matured 22 months in French oak barrels, 62% new
vineyard details +
Dancing Bear Ranch Vineyard
Acquired in 1999, Dancing Bear Ranch consists of 28 vineyard acres on Howell Mountain in northern Napa Valley, from which a single-vineyard red wine is produced. The vines are rooted into shallow, rocky soils at 1,450 to over 1,600 feet above sea level. With its near 360-degree exposure, the site offers a wide range of growing conditions.
about the grape +
Cabernet Franc usually shows tart red cherry and wild currant aromas and flavors with an herbal, spicy character. In the Loire, esp. Chinon and Saumur-Champigny, this grape shows firm minerality.
Cabernet Sauvignon is adaptable to various growing conditions, and is known for its low yield and late ripeness. It generally produces full-bodied wines with substantial acidity and tannins.
Merlot makes plump, succulent wines to drink young or opulently massive wines for aging. Has silky, blackberry and currant fruit, with spice, earth, tobacco and chocolate notes, and soft tannins.
– Stephanie Jacobs, Winemaker
“Our emphasis on fruit quality captures the expression of blackberry and boysenberry in the wine.”
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Chardonnay
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Chardonnay Reserve
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Benchland Select Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Vine Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Two Creeks Vineyards Pinot Noir