Terroir Selection Malbec 2017
Grapes: 100% Malbec
Terroir Selection Malbec is made from a blend of five vineyards in Lujan de Cujo and Valle de Uco, each bringing different characteristics to the wine. Lujan de Cujo contributes elements of ripe, mouth filling fruit that is very long on the palate, while Valle de Uco supplies strength and young, primary fruit aromas and roundness in the mouth. Terroir Selection Malbec is aged in French oak barrels (new, one- and two-year old) for 12 months and in bottle for 6 months.
Wine Spectator2017 vintage
Wine & Spirits2017 vintage
2017 was a typical vintage for Mendoza: Low precipitation levels in spring and summer, and moderate to warm temperatures. From the quantitative aspect, results were low, as a consequence of the frequency and duration of late frosts. Nevertheless, nature takes and nature gives: We were punished by low temperatures, but relief came with summer and autumn, giving us grapes of exceptional quality. Due to a superlative must extraction, wines of unique color were produced. Moreover, moderate temperatures in February and March helped grates to keep their natural acidity. Polyphenol maturity was surprising because we prevented plants from suffering extreme temperatures. Young wines of 2017 are promising. They are balanced, concentrated, with a nice aromatic profile, and notes of fresh, mature fruit. A note of its characteristic violet, plus its classic aromas of red fruit and plum are perceived in our Malbec vines. Over-ripeness is not felt thanks to intense controls on temperature in order to adjust the harvest date to its ideal moment.
Deep violet with aromas reminiscent of spices, fresh ripe fruits and animal scents. In mouth, freshness, openness, soft tannins and long finish dominate.
This wine is a great match with grilled ribeye or NY strip steak, roast fowl, and pork with herbs or Latin spices.
GRAPES: 100% Malbec
ACIDITY: 5.6 g/l
points of distinction
- Low yields of only 1 bottle per vine
- Blend of best terroirs: Luján de Cuyo, and Valle de Uco
- Average rating 90/91 from major publications since vintage 2002
about the grape +
Well-made Malbec is a dark, perfumed wine with rich, blackberry and damson plum fruit, aromas of violets and tobacco, and ripe, juicy tannins. In France, may be mineral, structured and austere.
Alta Vista's Terroir Expression Winemakers® became the first in Argentina to produce single vineyard Malbec wines, each representing the unique characteristics of their high elevation, estate vineyards.
- quick view new Alta Vista Atemporal Blend
- quick view Alta Vista Alto
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Alizarine
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Serenade
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Temis
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Torrontés
- quick view Alta Vista Vive Rosé
- quick view Alta Vista Vive Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Vive Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view new Alta Vista Brut Rosé of Malbec
- quick view new Alta Vista Brut Rosé
- quick view new Alta Vista Brut Blanc de Blancs
- quick view new Alta Vista Brut Nature