Single Vineyard Serenade 2013
Grapes: 100% Malbec
In 2001, Alta Vista was the first Argentine winery to produce single vineyard wines. Using their tailored Terroir Management® system for wine growing and winemaking, Alta Vista uses fruit from distinctive sites to craft unique wines that show the true characteristics of each vineyard. Similar to Single Vineyard Alizarine and Temis, Serenade is aged for 12 months in new French oak barrels and an additional 6 months in bottle. Located above 3,000 feet elevation in Luján de Cuyo, this distinctive vineyard is characterized by drastic diurnal temperature differences and an almost non-existent risk of frost. The climate is arid; the deep soil is clay loam in composition, with boulders 12 feet below the surface. Irrigation is traditional, with water from the Andes Mountains and from a well. Planted in 1960, the selection massale vines are simple Guyot pruned and produce medium-sized clusters, with loose, well-formed grapes. Wine from the Serenade vineyard is distinguished by its expressive red fruit notes, tannic structure, good persistence in the mouth, and great refinement.
Blue Lifestyle2013 vintage
2013 was an atypical vintage for Argentina. Vineyards did not suffer sanitary pressure of any kind. The crop volume per acre was above the average because budburst was gentle; thanks to the humidity into the soil. Zonda winds did not affect the flowering and dehydration of berries was hardly found. As a consequence, the alcohol content in wines is lower than usual (0.50 alc. / vol. in average) and acidity levels are better than usual (0.2 to 0.3 pH). Usually the intensity of aromas of flowers / fruits is over the average. The antocyans were highly extractable this year. The red wines show deep color. Generally the concentration of the wines is on the average, without excess. Entry and mid level wines are usually well fruit driven. Bleeding was necessary to concentrate high end wines. The style appears in line with 2011 and 2007. Equilibrium seems to be the master descriptor of this vintage.
A deep ruby-colored wine with slightly ripe fruit aromas mixed with animal scents and hints of wood. In the mouth, it is fresh with firm but soft tannins which contribute elegance to this Malbec.
Smoked meat. Pastrami. Mushroom risotto. Raclette cheese.
GRAPES: 100% Malbec
ACIDITY: 7 g/l
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 2.8 g/l
points of distinction
- Low yields of only 1 bottle per vine
- Alta Vista was first to produce single vineyard vines in Argentina
- Old vineyard planted in 1960
- Limited production
about the grape +
Well-made Malbec is a dark, perfumed wine with rich, blackberry and damson plum fruit, aromas of violets and tobacco, and ripe, juicy tannins. In France, may be mineral, structured and austere.
Alta Vista's Terroir Expression Winemakers® became the first in Argentina to produce single vineyard Malbec wines, each representing the unique characteristics of their high elevation, estate vineyards.
- quick view new Alta Vista Atemporal Blend
- quick view Alta Vista Alto
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Alizarine
- quick view Alta Vista Single Vineyard Temis
- quick view Alta Vista Terroir Selection Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Alta Vista Estate Torrontés
- quick view Alta Vista Vive Rosé
- quick view Alta Vista Vive Malbec
- quick view Alta Vista Vive Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view new Alta Vista Brut Rosé of Malbec
- quick view new Alta Vista Brut Rosé
- quick view new Alta Vista Brut Blanc de Blancs
- quick view new Alta Vista Brut Nature